Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

triton

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2003
Thank you to anyone that can help me with this question. ;)

I'm new to encoding songs, or ripping them from cd to put on my hard disk. I noticed that there are several ways you can rip a song into iTunes, such as encoding in mp3, aac etc etc. I would eventually like to replace my cd's with just digital copies on disk, can you tell me what the highest quality is that I can encode in through iTunes.

I am no sound expert, but I would like to have my songs that are ripped sound as close as possible to the original on disc. Can someone specifically tell me what the bit rate should be, what the format should be ....etc. :confused:

3Memos

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
Yes, Apple Lossless as an archive format. Then to compress for iPod, I would choose 128Kbps-196Kbps AAC. 128Kbps works the majority of people. Then as audio compression technologies improve, you can always re-compress from your original Apple Lossless files, without having re-rip from CDs and re-importing ID tags and album art.

triton

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2003
3Memos said:
Yes, Apple Lossless as an archive format. Then to compress for iPod, I would choose 128Kbps-196Kbps AAC. 128Kbps works the majority of people. Then as audio compression technologies improve, you can always re-compress from your original Apple Lossless files, without having re-rip from CDs and re-importing ID tags and album art.

So Apple Lossless is the best? Great, thank you for yor help. :) Also, how does one import Album Art? :confused: Here's another question, if you purchase through Apple's iTunes store, you can never get the true high quality that Apple Lossless provides, right? :confused:

3Memos

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
triton said:
So Apple Lossless is the best?
It's the same exact digital copy at around half the file size.

Also, how does one import Album Art? :confused:
You can use a program called Clutter that can grab album art from Amazon. Or you can get them from iTunes or scan them from your CD covers.

if you purchase through Apple's iTunes store, you can never get the true high quality that Apple Lossless provides, right? :confused:
Right. iTMS songs are already compressed at 128Kbps AAC. They sold 230,000,000 million songs to date, so at least the people buying them have given thumbs up to the quality.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
triton said:
Also, how does one import Album Art? :confused:

You can find high-quality cover scans at Coveralia. Once you've saved the artwork (drag it to your desktop) you can then import it into iTunes by expanding the artwork viewer (little triangle in the buttom-left) then dragging the file into the box.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.