Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Noisemaker

Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
I need to host a second website. Converting my current MobileMe Account to a family pack gets me the second account (and a few more for future projects...), but I'm concerned about the domain names.

Can I apply a domain name to one of the sub-accounts in the same way that I did to my main website hosted under my current account?

Will I be able to publish from the same user account on my Mac? I have both websites in my iWeb right now, and would prefer to keep it that way for ease. Would it just be a matter of logging out of my main account and into the sub-account in my settings?

Also, with the second account, I would much prefer to use the @me.com email address from it, but will I be able to use both accounts from my normal user account on my Mac with Mail, as well as on my iOS devices?

I'd appreciate any info on this!

helloimsteve

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2010
I need to host a second website. Converting my current MobileMe Account to a family pack gets me the second account (and a few more for future projects...), but I'm concerned about the domain names.

Can I apply a domain name to one of the sub-accounts in the same way that I did to my main website hosted under my current account?

Will I be able to publish from the same user account on my Mac? I have both websites in my iWeb right now, and would prefer to keep it that way for ease. Would it just be a matter of logging out of my main account and into the sub-account in my settings?

Also, with the second account, I would much prefer to use the @me.com email address from it, but will I be able to use both accounts from my normal user account on my Mac with Mail, as well as on my iOS devices?

I'd appreciate any info on this!

A sub account is treated as it's own account. The only thing that differentiates a sub-account from the master account is the storage space. You will be able to use another domain such as going through a domain registrar like GoDaddy.

As far as the publishing goes, iWeb is going to publish to the account that is logged into MobileMe through the System Preferences. If you want to publish from the sub-account, simply log out of your main account and log into the sub. Make sure you completely quit iWeb before you log out through System Preferences.

With your second account, you will be able to. Just make sure on the iOS devices, you disable all features except for mail as you can only sync 1 account (Contacts, Calendars etc) per iOS device. With Mac Mail, you would simply add the account as a normal account without modifying it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.