Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

122506-motorola_logo.jpg

The U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) yesterday announced that it has agreed to investigate Apple's claims of patent infringement lodged against Motorola late last month, indicating that a preliminary examination of the case has yielded sufficient cause for the agency to pursue a closer look.
The U.S. International Trade Commission (USITC) has voted to institute an investigation of certain mobile devices and related software. The products at issue in this investigation are mobile devices, such as smartphones, and their operating systems, user interfaces, and other application software.

The investigation is based on a complaint filed by Apple, Inc., f/k/a Apple Computer, Inc. Of Cupertino, CA, on October 29, 2010. The complaint alleges violations of section 337 of the Tariff Act of 1930 in the importation into the United States and sale of certain mobile devices and related software that infringe patents asserted by Apple. The complainant requests that the USITC issue an exclusion order and a cease and desist order.
The dispute between Apple and Motorola, one of many in the tech industry, was launched in early October when Motorola filed suit against Apple alleging infringement of eighteen Motorola patents by a variety of Apple products including the iPhone, iPad, "iTouch" (presumably iPod touch), and certain Mac computers. The ITC announced earlier this month that it would investigate Motorola's claims against Apple.

Apple fired back at Motorola in late October with its own claims that a number of Motorola smartphones infringe six Apple patents related to multi-touch technology, claims which the ITC has now also agreed to investigate.

Article Link: ITC Agrees to Investigate Apple's Patent Claims Against Motorola

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
All this back and forth with patents is so annoying. I wish we had a better system for protecting intellectual property and enforcing those protections. Right now its just a sea of "mutually assured destruction" defense with patent trolls acting like terrorists (i.e.: those who have nothing to lose), and a bunch of threats that result in cross-licensing deals. Its a wonder any independent software developers can make a living without stepping on one of the patent mines of the big companies.

ChromeAce

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Apple should proceed very carefully so as not to jeopardize the iTunes licensed features in the Motorola ROKR.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Patents are getting useless, as BC mentioned. Maybe companies should just stop patenting things. :rolleyes:

decimortis

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Toronto
"They've infringed on our patents with their i-Thingy"

"iTouch, sir"

"Yes, that's it! The iTouch is infringing!"

"I think it might be iPod Touch, guys."

"That too!!"

iphoneblack

macrumors member
May 21, 2008
iPhone took half of the profit pie. Because of Apple, everyone does not know what to do but suing each other.

fox10078

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Microsoft is also suing motorola, I think apple and them should team up and just crush them.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
iPhone took half of the profit pie. Because of Apple, everyone does not know what to do but suing each other.

I'm not sure there is a single handset manufacturer left who wouldn't jump at the chance to be in the position Apple is in. Their profit per phone is ridiculous compared to other manufacturers who don't do their own software.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Microsoft is also suing motorola, I think apple and them should team up and just crush them.

Why? How does destroying another company improve your iPhone experience?

If it wasn't for Motorola we would not even have cell phones today. Patent claims go back and forth. I know around here most consider Apple 100% innocent in all patent claims and everyone else the infringing parties, but I have a feeling everyone in the business is guilty of using other companies patents.

To make a statement that you want to see a competitor crushed means you do not value competition. You want one phone available from one company. You want everyone forced to use iPhones only. I value choice and I personally think all of these lawsuits are getting completely out of hand.

Cubert

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2005
iTouch??? Does that mean that part of the lawsuit should be thrown out? I think so. Seriously.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
In the meantime, Google rips off everyone and gives it away for free. :rolleyes:

(And by "free" of course I mean "ad supported.")

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
They should create their own OS, not using a knockoff OS that infringes on patents of Oracle Java and Apple iOS.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
They should create their own OS, not using a knockoff OS that infringes on patents of Oracle Java and Apple iOS.

I have a 2nd Gen iPod Touch that runs a gimped version of iOS4 and a Motorola Droid 2 running Android 2.2 with a light MotoBlur layer over it and I don't see how it is a knock off. They look nothing alike. Nothing. A knock off would suggest they look and function the same. Sort of like a cheap Chinese iPhone knock off that tries to even copy the icons even if it does not function right.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Didn't Apple say they had all sorts of patents when they first introduced the iPhone? So why are there so many lookalike devices out there? I've never understood which aspects of the iPhone are patented, unlicensed to others, and therefore supposedly patent infringements when "borrowed" by anyone else.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Didn't Apple say they had all sorts of patents when they first introduced the iPhone? So why are there so many lookalike devices out there? I've never understood which aspects of the iPhone are patented, unlicensed to others, and therefore supposedly patent infringements when "borrowed" by anyone else.

Apple have already lost some of those patents and others may not be valid.

Last edited:

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009

you can't patent multi-touch since anyone can come up with a slightly different algorithm and gestures to do the same things

palm did it first with it's crazy alphabet 10 years ago

apple did it with hands since tech got to the point where a screen was good enough to take input directly from people

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.