Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Hi,

If I happen to get the 60D, (over the 7D), I would like it to be
a conscious decision as both of them are quite expensive for
me. Because I'll be doing viedo with them, is that I have
narrowed my choices to these two.

If one puts aside the movable viewfinder of the 60D, I wonder
if the following characteristics are really worth it:

DIGIC 4 vs. Dual "DIGIC 4" - Is there a lot of difference from
one sensor to the other ??

9 AF points vs 19 AF points - I like autofocus, but I usually
photograph people. It doesn't have to be that sophisticated.

AF-Micro "instructions" : only for the 7d

Selektive metering (?) only 7d

The prisma is 96% on the 60D, compared to 100% on the 7D

Is the 7D worth it the extra money ??

Thank you, kind regards,

igmolinav.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I'm sure many will point out that it's nearly impossible to recommend one or the other without knowing what you intend to shoot with it.

However, there is at least one general consideration that will affect anything you're doing with it... the focus system.

In my opinion, the biggest advantage the 7D has over the 60D is the focus system, which not only has more points to choose from, but a very ergonomic way of choosing one manually with the included joy stick control on the back.

The fact is, without the joystick, you will likely end up relying heavily on the center point on the 60D out of convenience... which means you are probably going to compromise some photos as the center-point focus and recompose method comes with compromises in metering and focus.

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Hi,

Thank you for your message : ) !!!

So, with the 7done basically gets to choose which autofocus points one wants to use, and which not. With the 60d, your option is pretty much reduced to some, or all 9 AF points.

The camera, I'll be using it to shoot mainly people, and products.

Thank you, kind regards,

igmolinav.

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
I'm sure many will point out that it's nearly impossible to recommend one or the other without knowing what you intend to shoot with it.

However, there is at least one general consideration that will affect anything you're doing with it... the focus system.

In my opinion, the biggest advantage the 7D has over the 60D is the focus system, which not only has more points to choose from, but a very ergonomic way of choosing one manually with the included joy stick control on the back.

The fact is, without the joystick, you will likely end up relying heavily on the center point on the 60D out of convenience... which means you are probably going to compromise some photos as the center-point focus and recompose method comes with compromises in metering and focus.

totally agree with virtual on this. If I had the choice it'd be the 7D.

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
Yes with the 7D you have 19 points you can focus on and you can also setup groups of AF points.

Now with the 60D you only have 9 points. So you see, you start to lose certain areas or spots.

The 7D's autofocus system also uses a new 3D system which works very well. The 7D has been given high marks by pretty much every camera review out there.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
totally agree with virtual on this. If I had the choice it'd be the 7D.

+1, however 7D new is lotta coin, look at the re-furb link I posted in the other thread here.

btw, I'm waiting for the 7D mkII or 5D mkIII as the fall 2011 upgrade from my T1i, for now I'll be buying L glass here and there....

I do like that movable screen on the 60D though.....it's nice for those tripod situtations where the camera is pointed up.

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Hi,

+1, however 7D new is lotta coin, look at the re-furb link I posted in the other thread here.

Would you please show me the link to the refurb link?

(I just wonder how much the new 7D mkII or 5D mkIII will cost, there are some fascinating lenses to be used on it, if I happen to get enough $ until june to buy one).

Kind regards,

igmolinav.

merkinmuffley

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2010
I've had a 7D since they came out, it's a very capable camera. You mention video in your post and I didn't see any current Canon camera mentioned. If you don't have an "investment" in Canon lenses, I'd recommend looking at the Nikon 7000. It offers AF during video which you might find useful.
If your choice is the 7D or the 60D - I'd go with the 7D.

esaleris

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
I recently bought a 60D and the one thing that I wish it had was the AF system of the 7D. That said, I am still overall pretty content with the 60D (and the $900 I got it for) and the overall package that I am not too sad about lack of the more advanced system.

Just be very used to focus-and-recomposing shots and managing exposure over that process.

RebootD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
NW Indiana
The 7D, 60D and T2i (550D) all use the same sensor so image quality will be on par for all three. What you are paying for are more/professional options such as other people have stated above.

I guess I'd break it down this way:

1. T2i = Consumer level, good IQ, very good ISO performance and great for anything besides getting into off camera lighting etc.

2. 60D = Everything above but you really want to use it as a video camera and the articulating screen will be a big benefit. Also it's larger and better ergonomics.

3. 7D = Everything above plus semi-pro body construction, more AF and metering options and better for action/sports. The downside is that it's expensive as a kit plus refurbs are selling for just under $50 less than retail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.