Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

no.tzen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2010
Quebec
I installed all suggested updates yesterday and this morning Safari, iTunes and Software Update can't connect to the internet BUT FIREFOX HAS NO PROBLEM.
I ran Network Diagnostics and it says my connection works perfectly.
I checked the proxies, it's on auto discovery, seems alright to me.
I checked the DNS, and changed them several times, nothing works there...
I verified every forum, no good answer.
I'm not a pro but if anyone has a suggestion, i'd be very grateful.
I'm now trying to uninstall and re-download safari 5.0.3 again see if it's a miracle...

-Intel Macbook running OS 10.6.5

Thanks!

Last edited:

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Have you repair permissions?

Might want to install the 10.6.5 combo update and reinstall that.

no.tzen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2010
Quebec
yes for Little Snitch, always, and it doesn't show Safari at all on the network monitor even when i try to open it...

i'll check the permissions right away

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Have a look at the rules to see whether it has anything set for Safari. If it does, delete them then try.

no.tzen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2010
Quebec
Repaired permissions on HD, still doesn't work... (there was a lot to repair though), everything was fine (connections, permissions etc.) before I installed the 10.6.5 combo update issued nov. 10.
Little snitch is not the problem, it's the first thing I checked.
Software Update and iTunes, and now iWeb are affected also. Seems all native Apple software are affected. Firefox, uTorrent are able to connect without problems.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
What do you get if you try the wget command in Terminal?

For instance, type

"wget -S http://www.google.com/"

Can you post the results here?

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Also, just thought of something from your original post.

"I checked the proxies, it's on auto discovery, seems alright to me."

Turn off Auto-proxy discovery.

no.tzen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2010
Quebec
I sould've tried this before.
Brought my computer elsewhere and everything worked fine. So it has to do with my home network; i'm not that good with this.
Makes sense since all native Apple apps use Network Pref setting to access to the internet (proxies, DNS ...)
but Firefox, uTorrent etc. have their own settings.
Disabled Auto Proxy, didn't change a thing.
Any ideas?

Morituri

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2010
Hi,

I have the same problem.

I haven't found the solution but for me the workaround is to go to System Preferences, Network, click on whatever method you are using to connect, then change an option, I usually change IPv6 to off, then click apply, it should then work, or at least it does for me.....

Changing and option and then clicking apply must do some kind of reset that kicks it into life.....

Hope this helps

johnnie311

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2011
I had the same problem. Safari, Mail, and Software Update had connectivity problems but Firefox and Outlook could connect just fine. I fixed the problem by resetting my router and then restarting the computer.

Mac OSX 10.6.6

no.tzen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2010
Quebec
I read a whole book on networking (those are useless by the way) and I can't figure out my problem. Seems there are some variant if not similar threads on other forums but none of the very few solutions proposed are working for me.
Tried putting my computer in DMZ on my router cause I thought it might be a firewall problem. No.
Installed every update available. No.
Tried countless times resetting my router, modem and then restarting. No.
Tried changing IPv6 or other then apply. No.
And I don't understand this last post, that guy is lost.
At least I have Firefox for the net and Transmission for downloads.
I should survive just well since everything works anywhere else but here and I have a very portable Macbook after all.
Thanks all for your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.