PDA

View Full Version : PowerMac G5 & Airport Express

RedElectro
Nov 24, 2010, 02:42 PM
As the title suggests, I've got a PowerMac G5 and an Airport Express. I use the Airport Express connected to my Broadband Modem as my Wifi Network - have no issues connecting to it using my MBP or iPhone - but what's the best (and most affordable way) of getting the PowerMac to play too?

I've thought of the official internal Airport Card, but this seems complicated - there seem to be Airport Compatible cards out there, but are they any good? There are plug in Wifi dongles and there's always the option of a wired connection via an Ethernet hub!

I'm lost at the minute I'm having to connect the Powermac to my MBP and share the internet connection, but this is a bit of a pain.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

downingp
Nov 24, 2010, 10:27 PM
I am also in a similar situation and would like some recommendations. I have an eMac G4 I just picked up on the cheap which does not have a wireless card installed. I also have a wireless network with an airport extreme and an airport express. Is it possible to connect the airport express via Ethernet to the eMac to get a "wireless" connection?

Thanks.

OrangeSVTguy
Nov 25, 2010, 09:54 AM
The official Airport Extreme card is a very easy installation and you can find them for under $25 online. You just plug in the tiny antenna plug and slide it in the slot above the memory banks. You will need to purchase the external antenna that goes on the back. There are USB versions available but some require additional software drivers to install.

downingp
Nov 25, 2010, 10:00 AM
Where could I purchase the external antenna? I was under the impresiion the USB 2.0 1.25 ghz eMac had a built in antenna.

OrangeSVTguy
Nov 25, 2010, 10:25 AM
Where could I purchase the external antenna? I was under the impresiion the USB 2.0 1.25 ghz eMac had a built in antenna.

I was referring to the OP. He has a G5 and the early '05 and earlier models required an external antenna. Late '05 models had the antennas built it.