PDA

View Full Version : How Loud is a G5 Supposed to be?

Phat_Pat
Jan 17, 2005, 12:23 AM
I have a DP 2.5 G5 and i love it. Although after reading through how queit tis supposed to be and stuff i've been starting to think that theres something wrong. I mean it's supposed to be real quiet with the liquid-cooling system.

Everything is stock... nothing has been added. (specs in profile) The Plastic strips have also been removed.

Its always at a constant hum and even opening a small app such as mail the fans screem. They also seem to go off just at random while sitting idle. and when opening a finder window.
Am i just being anal or is this a problem?

Also i'm not sure how hot this thing is supposed to get while just sitting using Firefox but heres the temps

maybe other DP 2.5 owners can describe how loud theirs get and the heat of the comp while being idle

Thanks for you input.

Phat_Pat
Jan 17, 2005, 12:54 PM
anyone?

i should add that i'm running the newest of everything... including the firmware.

Zenith
Jan 17, 2005, 01:12 PM
I have a dual 2 Ghz G5, and it's really quiet. My temperatures are much lower than yours (see the attachment). My room is only around 21-22 degrees warm, and the Mac is sitting on the floor where it's extra chilly.

Anyway, it's very quiet, and all the fans are spinning at low speed constantly. Only after I've run both processors at 100% for some minutes I can notice that it really start to speed up the processor fans. Especially when going from 100% over a few minutes to 0% to 100% again.

What kind of graphics card do you have? I have the stock Radeon 9600 Pro without any fan. I'm planning to get a X800 very soon, and it might be noisier. Hopefully not that much though.

Phat_Pat
Jan 17, 2005, 01:22 PM
These are the specs to my G5

G5 DUAL 2.5/2 Gigs RAM/NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL/250 HD/AP/BT/23" Apple Display

the only reason i'm worrying is that if you slap down 6 grand for a computer it better be working correctly.

_pat

Moof1904
Jan 17, 2005, 01:33 PM
I just got a DP2.5 two weeks ago and it seems quieter than you're describing. The fans ramp up when I'm running Final Cut Pro and I start video playback and such, but more routine apps don't seem to trigger fan rampup.

I didn't know that there was a temperature monitoring app. I'll have to find and launch it and see what my results are.

(BTW: I have the 6800 Ultra DDL card.)

Phat_Pat
Jan 17, 2005, 01:36 PM
the temperature app is actually a download found here (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19994)

pchriste
Jan 17, 2005, 01:47 PM
I had the same problem after my G5 Dual 1.8 had its motherboard replaced under warrenty. It sounded like a jet taking off. I called Applecare and they said the Thermostat needed calibration. I took it to the Apple Store, they ran a set-up disk and 45 minutes later it was quiet again. Call Applecare, or bring it to an APPLE STORE.

PC

2A Batterie
Jan 17, 2005, 01:52 PM
I'm using a DP2.0 and here is what I'm reading

Phat_Pat
Jan 17, 2005, 01:58 PM
I'm using a DP2.0 and here is what I'm reading

wow my memory control heatsink is 20 degrees C hotter than yours.

does anybody know how hot these are supposed to be?

Phat_Pat
Jan 17, 2005, 02:04 PM
Just ran into this (http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?128@309.hefMaq0aKJD.3@.6899a240) thread over at the Apple web site.

Seems like alot of people have had this issue... haven't read through all the post yet.....

ohh this thread is making my fans rev. Try hitting view all and scroll all the way to the bottom then back up fast a few times..... :eek:

neut
Jan 17, 2005, 03:07 PM
mine is occasionally loud ... i'll get a temp reading when i go home.

peace.

cmvsm
Jan 17, 2005, 03:20 PM
You won't find any information on what the temps should be in the G5. I've been down this road and it is a dead end. Out of curiosity, I emailed one of the IBM designers of the G5 chip and he turned me over to one of the lead engineers who simply said that the 970's operating temps are not for public knowledge and Apple wants to keep it that way. Not sure why this is.. :confused:

I tried Apple CS as well with no luck on finding this info. Best I got from them was "Are your fans revving up or has the computer turned itself off?" I say "No". They say "Then its ok". End of call. Very informative... :eek:

Phat_Pat
Jan 17, 2005, 03:29 PM
You won't find any information on what the temps should be in the G5. I've been down this road and it is a dead end. Out of curiosity, I emailed one of the IBM designers of the G5 chip and he turned me over to one of the lead engineers who simply said that the 970's operating temps are not for public knowledge and Apple wants to keep it that way. Not sure why this is.. :confused:

I tried Apple CS as well with no luck on finding this info. Best I got from them was "Are your fans revving up or has the computer turned itself off?" I say "No". They say "Then its ok". End of call. Very informative... :eek:
hmmm... thats weird.....

well maybe i'll call apple tommorow... i mean even right now i can hear the fans over my music...... and i'm just running 2 apps!! the old eMac we used to have was quieter than this :eek:

cmvsm
Jan 17, 2005, 03:47 PM
My G5 is actually very quiet. The fans rev up on occasion when I'm doing something, but other than that, good to go. I know that I found any revving at all a little odd when I first converted to Mac. I'm sure this is because my PC's fans were always running and you just got used to the noise. Now, I can hear my PC breathing underneath the desk all day and my G5 only runs the fans on demand which is great.

I ran hardware monitor and I'm guessing that everyone is in the same ballpark. Again, if you have not benchmarks on what the proper operating temps are, its a little hard to say. These chips run much hotter than any I've experienced in the past, but if my system thinks it's ok...then it's ok!!

neut
Jan 17, 2005, 03:52 PM
my fans only come on when i start up a process they have a short burst and then they go silient.

usually it's quiet ... something makes the fans go wild; then it locks up. :(

but that hasn't happened since i stopped using the iPod with USB 2.

peace.

cmvsm
Jan 17, 2005, 04:10 PM
In terms of temps, the same guy who created Hardware Monitor and Temperature Monitor just came out with a program called "System Load". You can choose to max out one or two processors and when you have temp monitor running at the same time, you can really see your processors work. I had 10 other apps running at the same time as System Load and couldn't get the CPU temps past 74C. The fans never came on either. Hopefully this is normal. Anyone have temps higher than that after running this program?

You can find the download here: http://www.bresink.de/osx/SystemLoad.html

Phat_Pat
Jan 17, 2005, 04:29 PM
In terms of temps, the same guy who created Hardware Monitor and Temperature Monitor just came out with a program called "System Load". You can choose to max out one or two processors and when you have temp monitor running at the same time, you can really see your processors work. I had 10 other apps running at the same time as System Load and couldn't get the CPU temps past 74C. The fans never came on either. Hopefully this is normal. Anyone have temps higher than that after running this program?

You can find the download here: http://www.bresink.de/osx/SystemLoad.html
i ran this too and the fans never sped up... just a constant hum. Although there seemed to be a strange whine coming from the case while to program was open.... :confused:

tempuratures didn't seem to change much either. i think the highest i got with 100% going was about 65C

cmvsm
Jan 17, 2005, 08:54 PM
i ran this too and the fans never sped up... just a constant hum. Although there seemed to be a strange whine coming from the case while to program was open.... :confused:

I heard the same thing. It only occurred on my machine when the program is set at the lowest load levels. The sound disappeared when I put it at full blast. Was kind of high pitched and coming from the fans. Not sure what that is all about.

Hoef
Jan 17, 2005, 09:25 PM
wow my memory control heatsink is 20 degrees C hotter than yours.

does anybody know how hot these are supposed to be?

Mine is quite hot ... 70C! ... Actually the whole thing is hot, around 35-40C. Then again, it is on 24x7

Phat_Pat
Jan 18, 2005, 05:56 PM
Mine is quite hot ... 70C! ... Actually the whole thing is hot, around 35-40C. Then again, it is on 24x7
mine is usual on at least 7 hours a day.

Eric5h5
Jan 18, 2005, 06:11 PM
Its always at a constant hum and even opening a small app such as mail the fans screem. They also seem to go off just at random while sitting idle. and when opening a finder window.

Mine doesn't do that...the fans normally are at a low, quiet hum, but starting a CPU-intensive process will cause them to rev for a few seconds. Just opening an app never does. Seems to be mostly the change in activity that sets the fans off; once the CPUs are going full tilt, long periods of this only results in fans coming on occasionally and not as loud. The only time the fans go off randomly is when scrolling through web pages for some reason.

--Eric

Phat_Pat
Jan 18, 2005, 06:29 PM
The only time the fans go off randomly is when scrolling through web pages for some reason.

--Eric
yes i've noticed this too... although it puzzles me why viewing a web page would cause the system to heat up and require the fans....

neut
Jan 18, 2005, 07:03 PM
Mine doesn't do that...the fans normally are at a low, quiet hum, but starting a CPU-intensive process will cause them to rev for a few seconds. Just opening an app never does. Seems to be mostly the change in activity that sets the fans off; once the CPUs are going full tilt, long periods of this only results in fans coming on occasionally and not as loud. The only time the fans go off randomly is when scrolling through web pages for some reason.

--Eric

yeah, this seems to be what is normal for dual 2.5 G5s. :)

i don't mind the occasional fans. it's just these weird lock ups. I have the latest version of firmware and OSX, but every few days (sometimes a few times in a row) it will hard lock and the fans go on ... and stay on!. stays nice and cool, but it sure works the fans. :(

peace.

Phat_Pat
Jan 19, 2005, 04:32 PM
maybe one of the reasons why my fans seem to get loud is because of the location of the tower...... I put my hand in the little hutch shown at it was rather warm. There is no back to the "hutch" but it feels like the air isn't escaping.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v512/Phat_Pat/comp.jpg

oh yeah there was a door.... but it broke off a while ago :rolleyes:

Bear
Jan 19, 2005, 04:43 PM
maybe one of the reasons why my fans seem to get loud is because of the location of the tower...... I put my hand in the little hutch shown at it was rather warm. There is no back to the "hutch" but it feels like the air isn't escaping.....
...How close is the back of the hutch/desk to the wall? If it's less than half an inch (12.5mm), maybe you should try moving it to about an inch away(25.4mm) from the wall to allow for better airflow.

Also, there is nothing blowing warm air towards the Mac is there?

Phat_Pat
Jan 19, 2005, 04:47 PM
How close is the back of the hutch/desk to the wall? If it's less than half an inch (12.5mm), maybe you should try moving it to about an inch away(25.4mm) from the wall to allow for better airflow.

Also, there is nothing blowing warm air towards the Mac is there?
theres about a 3 inch gap from the wall to the desk.

neut
Jan 19, 2005, 04:51 PM

oh yeah there was a door.... but it broke off a while ago :rolleyes:

mine sits in a similar hutch ... as long as the tower is pushed against the back of the hutch (so the air can flow out of the hutch) it should dissapate the heat fairly well. just make sure its a good few inches away from the wall.

peace.

Phat_Pat
Jan 23, 2005, 01:24 AM
One of apples employies at the apple store actual complained about the same thing to me. He described it exactly as i did (the reving of the fans in unessary locations) and said that he was taking it into the guenis bar. He also said that they would replace it if the fans were to to loud/computer was too hot. Next weekend, when i have some free time i might be bringing it in..... :(

neut
Jan 24, 2005, 08:42 AM
i was contemplating taking it in ... but it hasn't locked up in a few days. i stopped or unhooked ever unessary program and that to seemed to help. im slowly plugging things back in and running apps to see which one (if any) kill it. if this thing can't stay up for at least a week ... a dual 2.0 that's stable will be looking really good. :rolleyes:

my fans still seem to act pretty normal though.

peace.

Mav451
Jan 24, 2005, 09:04 AM
One of apples employies at the apple store actual complained about the same thing to me. He described it exactly as i did (the reving of the fans in unessary locations) and said that he was taking it into the guenis bar. He also said that they would replace it if the fans were to to loud/computer was too hot. Next weekend, when i have some free time i might be bringing it in..... :(

The fan are only "too loud" because something is buggy in the firmware causing them to run full speed (3300+ RPM instead of 1200-1500). Replacing the fans does nothing if the firmware is not fixed >> I also wonder if this is linked directly to OSX though.

Phat_Pat
Jan 24, 2005, 06:40 PM
Had a bad night last night with the G5. Became really slow and unresponsive (Fans were going crazy). So i decided to take some photos of the temps when doing different activities.

Temps When Idol:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v512/Phat_Pat/idol.jpg

Burning a DVD
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v512/Phat_Pat/Burning.jpg

And finally with 2 apps open: AIM and Firefox
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v512/Phat_Pat/Holycrap.jpg

are these high or is it just me? :confused:

Lacero
Jan 24, 2005, 07:02 PM
I love my dual G5 1.8Ghz. It is much quieter than my old G4 867Mhz tower. I'd say it's not loud enough to be a disturbance, even at night. My external HDs make more noise than the G5 itself.

unixkid
Jan 24, 2005, 07:57 PM
This heat and noise problem seems to only be for the 2.5ghz PowerMacs. They may be overclocked 2.0ghz or 2.3ghz chips. Apple did that when they came out with the first 1.25ghz PowerMac G4's after the Quicksilvers.

the high pitch noise you here when scrolling web pages seems to be coming from the "blower" behind the fan in the Hard drive bay. I've tested it and I can feel and hear the blower. I've thought about unpluging the blower at times, because its so annoying when recording audio and u hear the high pitch winning in the backgorund. the low pitch humming or slow reving is ur CPU fans.

Daveway
Jan 24, 2005, 08:29 PM
are these high or is it just me?

I'm rendering in iDVD right now on my 1.8 iMac and my CPU temp is 170F.
The fans on my system are VERY sensitive. The littlest activities will spike the fan speeds. Also, my iMac is one of the noisy one with a bad bearing so its quite noisy right now.

cmvsm
Jan 24, 2005, 09:23 PM
are these high or is it just me? :confused:

According to your readout that you posted, the temps look about equal to what I've seen on some other temp postings on other boards. I think that your fans may be more in tune with the firmware than they are with the actual system temps. Your temps seem to go along with mine and my G5 hasn't caught on fire or blown into flames.

Then again, I'm no tech either... :eek:

Phat_Pat
Feb 2, 2005, 06:08 PM
I took my Powermac into a Compusa with apple support in it just because i am really weird and wanted to be sure.

They ran a few tests on it and it killed the cpu! They have to replace the parts now and they are (hopefully) shipping right now.

The guy also said the temps shouldn't go over 110. although i don't know weather he was talking about C or F.

I am glad i followed my instincts! :cool:

andrewfee
Feb 2, 2005, 09:26 PM
Wow, this could explain the problems I've been having with my iMac G5; it's running at 75.5C!

And all I've been doing the last hour or so is browsing and using iChat.

Mav451
Feb 2, 2005, 09:43 PM
Get that checked out immediately. Web browsing/iChat are hardly what I call "CPU-intensive" apps, so I'm thinking the thermal contact inside your iMac is suspect.

There's no way the G5 would be idling @ 75C's either.
(and as a form of reference, Athlon 64's max temp is listed at 70C's. A64's usually run in the low 30's to upper 40's.)

andrewfee
Feb 5, 2005, 11:24 AM
Get that checked out immediately. Web browsing/iChat are hardly what I call "CPU-intensive" apps, so I'm thinking the thermal contact inside your iMac is suspect.

There's no way the G5 would be idling @ 75C's either.
(and as a form of reference, Athlon 64's max temp is listed at 70C's. A64's usually run in the low 30's to upper 40's.)
I had my iMac picked up a few days ago, and it seems like an eternity. As well as it running hot, I've had some other issues, and I just hope they can sort it out. I'm not sure if I'd want another iMac though; I'm leaning towards selling it (or its replacement) for a 15" Powerbook.

I'd really like to know how they compare in terms of performance though; the iMac was just fast enough for what I need, I don't think I could go with anything noticably slower.

jailbreak
Feb 10, 2005, 02:27 PM
Hi!

I discovered today that you can avoid the running fans if you set the cpu-power (system preferrences > energy ...) to maximum or minimum but not automatic. I had the same problems (scrolling safari) and they suddenly disappeared!

jailbreak

sorry for my bad english!

Phat_Pat
Feb 16, 2005, 12:46 AM
Still in for repair.... apple tech guy replaced something (pretty sure the guy said processors although not 100%) but he was still not happy with the temps. The guy on the phone said he ordered a new motherboard and that the fans were overreacting because of the high temps.

The guy on the phone also said he's having alot of trouble with it. :(

I miss my baby. :p

neut
Feb 16, 2005, 09:32 AM
Since 10.3.8 my lock-ups have gone away ... and the fans seem to behave themselves. :)

But my brand new Wacom tablet stopped working. :(

peace.

Phat_Pat
Feb 16, 2005, 07:54 PM
Compusa has been ****ing me over for the past 3 weeks.

They haven't done **** to the computer.

Called apple and they have NO record of this happening at all. Compusa never reported it. Apple called comp and was on hold for an hour.

Something happened and the apple guy was very sorry and told us to go take it from them (but he was also pissed). Send it back and apple will send a brand new one. :D :D :D

I opened the box when we got it home. Nothing has been touched. It hadn't even been opened.

oh and it wasnt a real apple guy at compusa either.

neut
Feb 17, 2005, 09:23 AM
Send it back and apple will send a brand new one. :D :D :D

well that's cool; Glad to hear it turned out. :) It's cool that Apple came to the rescue.

CompUSA continues to amaze me with their level of intelligence. :p

peace.