Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xxsummerxx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
Hi, I just got my ipod a few days ago. well when i charged it, the battery seems to go from being dead to 50% in a matter of seconds..

I was just wondering.. is this bad? does this mean the battery isn't capable of holding as much power..? should I go and exchange it?

Mr Slippy IV

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
Vail, AZ
Hi, I just got my ipod a few days ago. well when i charged it, the battery seems to go from being dead to 50% in a matter of seconds..

I was just wondering.. is this bad? does this mean the battery isn't capable of holding as much power..? should I go and exchange it?

What do you define 'dead' as? And how many seconds?

xxsummerxx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
by dead I mean the battery was fully drained and it automatically shut off. when i tried to turn it on again, it showed the itunes logo saying to plug in and charge.

and it went to 50% automatically, like 5 seconds after i connected it to my computer..

Mr Slippy IV

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
Vail, AZ
by dead I mean the battery was fully drained and it automatically shut off. when i tried to turn it on again, it showed the itunes logo saying to plug in and charge.

and it went to 50% automatically, like 5 seconds after i connected it to my computer..

It's certainly unusual. Have you allowed the iPod one full battery cycle (dead, all the way to one hundred percent, and low or dead again) to see if the error still occurs?

xxsummerxx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
Nope, this is my first time charging since I got it.. do you think this may just be a 'fluke'..?

Mr Slippy IV

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
Vail, AZ
Nope, this is my first time charging since I got it.. do you think this may just be a 'fluke'..?

Probably. What did the battery screen look like? If it just had the USB cable and an iTunes logo, then it had nothing to do with the battery.

Was it A:

HT1808_01.jpg

Or B?

HT1808_03.png

Brucewl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
I think you need full charge, as I known, iPod Touch 4G is still have a good battery only if you play 3D games

iTouch.lover22

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2009
Certainly unusual, but might have just been a one off weird problem. Tell us what happens after you try recharging and draining again :)

Panther71

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Cham-Bana, IL
How long is considered a normal charge for the 4G ipod Touch? It seems that my Touch only lasts 2 or 3 hours of internet connection before it gets close to the 20% level. Is this normal, or do I have an iPod Touch with a bad battery?

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Mine does that every time I plug it in after it dying. I thought 4.2 would fix it, but it didn't.

It also sometimes shows it fully charged in the corner, even though the big display shows it not fully charged.

xxsummerxx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
I drained my ipod today and tried recharging it.. This time the battery went straight to 30% instead of 50%.

I'm afraid the battery is weak though because all I did was play music for about 2 hours, and games for about an hour and a half and the battery was totally drained..?

Eolian

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2010
Background wifi use can be an issue ... if you have Mail or other apps accepting push notifications and 'multitasking' in the background, the constant connect/check cycling can drain it down. You might check those Settings.

I've set my Mail to check manually, and usually turn off Location Services and Notifications.

I know for some people that would defeat a lot of the functionality of the "always in touch" crowd, but I'm not one of those :)

Of course you can just turn wifi off if not using it, listening to music or whatever ~ that'll help. Also in Settings.

I seem to get eight or so hours heavy use per charge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.