Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jameskw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
Hi, my home button began to fail and when I opened the Ipod Touch 2nd Gen what looks like the the metal piece that connects the button to the circuit board came out... I'm a fairly good at soldering so I'm wondering if this is fixable or not, I cant see where on the circuit board It connects to, any ideas?

James

Mr Slippy IV

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
Vail, AZ
Hi, my home button began to fail and when I opened the Ipod Touch 2nd Gen what looks like the the metal piece that connects the button to the circuit board came out... I'm a fairly good at soldering so I'm wondering if this is fixable or not, I cant see where on the circuit board It connects to, any ideas?

James

I wouldn't recommend trying this, but this is probably the teardown you're looking for. Skip to Step 12 if you want an idea of the Home Button assembly before you tear it open.

jameskw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
hmmm, looks like its connecting to the pathway left of the spring? anyone think this is possible to solder? its pretty micro..

jameskw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
but then how is the home button connected to the circuit? :\ maybe im confused

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
The alloy used solder the boards on the Touch is not anything that will mix with any solder you can purchase, so soldering it will only give you cold solder joints. Sent it to one of the repair places like Digiexpress and have it repaired properly.

jameskw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
"The alloy used solder the boards on the Touch is not anything that will mix with any solder you can purchase, so soldering it will only give you cold solder joints. Sent it to one of the repair places like Digiexpress and have it repaired properly. "

anyone know how they fix it? :)
or and alternative fix?
im thinking about jailbreaking it and putting a virtual home on it

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.