PDA

View Full Version : iWork Screenshots

MacBytes
Jan 17, 2005, 01:24 AM
Category: Apple Software
Link: iWork Screenshots (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050117022447)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

SuperChuck
Jan 17, 2005, 01:31 AM
Pages looks so amazing. I'm so glad to be free of MS without settling for AppleWorks. This app hasn't gotten nearly as much attention as the mini, but it will have a lot more impact on our Mac experience.

munkle
Jan 17, 2005, 01:40 AM
I'm really looking forward to iWork. Keynote needed an upgrade (even though I still use it over Powerpoint 2004) and I've already though of a myriad of uses for Pages.

Nermal
Jan 17, 2005, 01:50 AM
Yeah, I can't wait to try out Pages.

Keynote needed an upgrade (even though I still use it over Powerpoint 2004) and I've already though of a myriad of uses for Pages.

The local grammar department says: :rolleyes: It's just 'myriad,' not 'a myriad of.' Think of using it interchangeably with 'many.'

I'm not really trying to nitpick, I just learnt this a little while ago and now it kind of jumps out at me! :eek:

3Memos
Jan 17, 2005, 02:00 AM
Pages look great, but I wonder how useable it is without template support.

dejo
Jan 17, 2005, 02:09 AM
I'm really looking forward to iWork. Keynote needed an upgrade (even though I still use it over Powerpoint 2004) and I've already though of a myriad of uses for Pages.

And the local spelling/typo-notice department says: We think you meant 'thought' and not 'though'.

(Sorry, couldn't resist) ;)

dotnina
Jan 17, 2005, 02:13 AM
The local grammar department says: :rolleyes: It's just 'myriad,' not 'a myriad of.' Think of using it interchangeably with 'many.'

I'm not really trying to nitpick, I just learnt this a little while ago and now it kind of jumps out at me! :eek:
I can't resist getting embroiled in a grammar debate. ;)

According to dictionary.com, it can and has been used as a noun. However, you're correct in that it seems that it's mainly used as an adjective nowadays:

Usage Note: Throughout most of its history in English myriad was used as a noun, as in a myriad of men. In the 19th century it began to be used in poetry as an adjective, as in myriad men. Both usages in English are acceptable, as in Samuel Taylor Coleridge's “Myriad myriads of lives.” This poetic, adjectival use became so well entrenched generally that many people came to consider it as the only correct use. In fact, both uses in English are parallel with those of the original ancient Greek. The Greek word mrias, from which myriad derives, could be used as either a noun or an adjective, but the noun mrias was used in general prose and in mathematics while the adjective mrias was used only in poetry.

Anyway, iWork looks really interesting, but I think I'll have to play around with it myself for a bit. I'm used to MS Word, and it doesn't seem like there's the same sort of toolbars in Pages? Like, where is the bold / italic / underline, the font pull-down menu, etc.? What, are they going for simplicity or something? ;) It'll definitely be worth a good look once it's out.

irmongoose
Jan 17, 2005, 02:21 AM
Well you learn something everyday, don't you? In the most unexpected places, too...

irmongoose

munkle
Jan 17, 2005, 02:31 AM

I'm going with dotnina on this one! I'm old school ;)

Although I must bow down to the local spelling/typo-notice department. I did mean thought.

And now perhaps back to iWork... :p

maya
Jan 17, 2005, 02:31 AM
Looking forward to both programs.

Pages has all the controls such as underline, bold, scratch off, etc... its under the "A" icon/button. :) Its just not shown in those screen shots. :)

Nermal
Jan 17, 2005, 02:37 AM
According to dictionary.com, it can and has been used as a noun.

Ah OK, I didn't know that. It's always risky to point out grammar errors!

3Memos
Jan 17, 2005, 02:41 AM
Ah OK, I didn't know that. It's always risky to point out grammar errors!

Agreed. Its a double edged sword. Let him... cast the first stone...

sord
Jan 17, 2005, 02:59 AM
Pages look great, but I wonder how useable it is without template support.
What are you talking about?! At the Pages page, the four main sections describing the product are "Word Processor", "Page Designs", "Templates", and "Compatibility". Check http://www.apple.com/iwork/pages/templates.html

kewpid
Jan 17, 2005, 03:15 AM
I think he means to ask how useable it is when starting from a blank page.

solvs
Jan 17, 2005, 03:34 AM
I think he means to ask how useable it is when starting from a blank page.
I'm sure it's fine. Just like using Textedit, but probably not as good as Word. Probably easier, though.

macridah
Jan 17, 2005, 07:55 AM
Those apps are going to be winners. I picking up an academic copy of that this bad boy saturday (jan 22). Some apple stores are going to open early and have an event for the mac mini release ... iWork will also be available.

Chaszmyr
Jan 17, 2005, 08:44 AM
I'm still wondering if I'll be able to find a use for Pages... seems like such a waste if Apple makes software I don't buy :p

srobert
Jan 17, 2005, 09:38 AM
I'm curious about how well "importing" and "exporting" to Microsoft Word works and if it multiple imports/exports back and forth can damage or mess up a file. i.e.: Can 2 people, one using word and one using page work on a same document many times in turns without screwing up the file too much? I guess we'll have to try.

mainstreetmark
Jan 17, 2005, 10:55 AM
I'm sure it's fine. Just like using Textedit, but probably not as good as Word. Probably easier, though.

In the keynote, I noticed a lack of "Paperclip Guy Banging On The Screen". What use is it, if Pages leaves out such an important word processing feature.

3Memos
Jan 17, 2005, 11:09 AM
Version 1 of anything is probably going to suck, Pages included. Keynote2 at least should be very polished.

pyrotoaster
Jan 17, 2005, 11:13 AM
I'm definitely looking forward to Pages replacing both Word and TextEdit in my dock (it's a win-win-win there).

I'm really interested in how several of the templates look particularly weblog-ish (or at least webpage-ish) and how exactly that will work HTML exporting. At the very least, it looks like Pages will offer some really nice basic GUI site building, but it would be really nice if I could take one of the templates, manipulate to my liking, and use it in a more dynamic web environment (such as a MT blog, et cetera).

Either way, I'm already getting odd ideas of how to use some of Pages' snazzier features (oh yeah, and the word processing :p).

In the keynote, I noticed a lack of "Paperclip Guy Banging On The Screen". What use is it, if Pages leaves out such an important word processing feature.
But how will I know when it looks like I'm writing a letter now?!

munkle
Jan 17, 2005, 11:20 AM
Version 1 of anything is probably going to suck, Pages included. Keynote2 at least should be very polished.

Keynote v1 certainly didn't suck. Might have begun to show its age recently but certainly did not suck.

azdude
Jan 17, 2005, 11:44 AM
But how will I know when it looks like I'm writing a letter now?!

http://www.linuxgazette.com/node_files/2001-02/2837/sv8538548.jpg

dejo
Jan 17, 2005, 11:50 AM
I'm really interested in how several of the templates look particularly weblog-ish (or at least webpage-ish) and how exactly that will work HTML exporting. At the very least, it looks like Pages will offer some really nice basic GUI site building, but it would be really nice if I could take one of the templates, manipulate to my liking, and use it in a more dynamic web environment (such as a MT blog, et cetera).

It is my understanding that Pages does not have an "export to HTML" feature, so you're gonna be SOL in that regard.

munkle
Jan 17, 2005, 11:56 AM
It is my understanding that Pages does not have an "export to HTML" feature, so you're gonna be SOL in that regard.

Check out pic from apple:

sworthy
Jan 17, 2005, 11:56 AM
actually it does export to HTML

dejo
Jan 17, 2005, 12:03 PM
Check out pic from apple:

Sorry, I stand corrected. Guess I missed that pic.

nagromme
Jan 17, 2005, 01:51 PM
I know a lot of people DEPEND on specific advanced features of Word. Some of them still will--Pages does NOT compete with Word's full feature set.

But I don't know anyone who LIKES Word. In fact, everyone seems to hate it!

If people don't HATE pages (could it even be fun sometimes, like Keynote?), and it does enough for MOST people (including reading/writing Word docs), and it has some features of its own that Word lacks, and makes good-looking documents easy to make, and costs LESS than Word... then I think we have a winner.

Mainyehc
Jan 17, 2005, 04:35 PM

Funny... That word's Portuguese form, "miríade", works exactly the opposite way, like "lot". We say "uma miríade de", which translated literally, means "a myriad of"... Or should I say, "a lot of" ;)

Oh, Pages, pages... I'd like to try it out, and if I find it cool, I may get a copy. You know, *cough*, my copy of Office isn't exactly... *cough*, just like the Windows 2000 *gasp* installed on that POS PC that I have here beside my iMac... I'll be buying Tiger, so that represents a huge shift in my attitude towards er... software purchases :p. And I'm trying to convice my family to get a Mac mini to replace the PC. Must... resist... ripping... iLife '05...... :eek:

Mainyehc
Jan 17, 2005, 04:41 PM
edit: Sorry, double posting :o

By the way, what's wrong with MacRumors' servers? With all the overload immediately before, during and after the MWSF Keynote, I understood that things were kind of rough... But shouldn't that be over by now? :cool:

solvs
Jan 18, 2005, 12:23 AM
edit: Sorry, double posting :o

By the way, what's wrong with MacRumors' servers? With all the overload immediately before, during and after the MWSF Keynote, I understood that things were kind of rough... But shouldn't that be over by now? :cool:
More people interested in Macs, more people interested in MacRumors and discussions. Haven't you noticed all the newbies lately?

anarchist
Jan 18, 2005, 02:56 PM
ugh .. gotta love coming to a new forum and starting anew with 0 posts :rolleyes: ..
anyways, I don't think it could be better said than it was by nagromme Pages does NOT compete with Word's full feature set.
If people don't HATE pages .., and it does enough for MOST people .., and it has some features of its own that Word lacks, and makes good-looking documents easy to make, and costs LESS than Word... then I think we have a winner.

The first version of anything can't be perfect, but solely by the fact that it is made by apple it should be better than par, especially for the (comparatively to word) tiny $79 it costs.

3Memos
Jan 18, 2005, 02:57 PM
ugh .. gotta love coming to a new forum and starting anew with 0 posts :rolleyes: ..
anyways, I don't think it could be better said than it was by nagromme

The first version of anything can't be perfect, but solely by the fact that it is made by apple it should be better than par, especially for the (comparatively to word) tiny $79 it costs.

I'm still trying to figure out how to re-order pages in Pages. :rolleyes: