PDA

View Full Version : Sleep settings?

allisonv7
Jan 17, 2005, 02:47 AM
Hey everyone,

I was wondering what display/hard drive sleep settings everyone uses and what is best for the computer? For the past few days I've just had the display set to sleep but am wondering if this is bad for the hard drive to constantly be on.

Thanks,

allison.

blodwyn
Jan 17, 2005, 11:29 AM
Hey everyone,

I was wondering what display/hard drive sleep settings everyone uses and what is best for the computer? For the past few days I've just had the display set to sleep but am wondering if this is bad for the hard drive to constantly be on.

Thanks,

allison.

I tend to leave my disks spinning. That way they spend more of their life at their normal operating temperature, and there are fewer thermal and startup surge events to go through. I really don't think that there's much in it though,, so I'd go with your personal preference. This is on desktop and external drives only of course, laptop drives are going to spin up and down with normal laptop usage.

allisonv7
Jan 17, 2005, 01:34 PM
Thanks! :)

allison.

Westside guy
Jan 17, 2005, 04:02 PM
I'm at the other end - I have my HDs spin down when they're inactive, and my monitors are generally set to shut off after a couple hours of inactivity. Seems silly to needlessly spend more on the electricity bill.