Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

double329

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
My MBA took 12-13sec to boot up. Installed VMWare Fusion 3.x today. It's running really great in MBA. The problem is: it added additional 10 sec to boot time. My MBA is now taking 23sec to boot up. What the h*&%??? Anyone using VMWare Fusion? (BTW: I got it using black Friday discount 60% off, very nice...) :p

mm1250

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2007
Are you using Bootcamp to isntall the OS are just using a vmware machine?

There is a startup called vmware helper I believe (it is for the top icon on the menu). You can disable this from startup, maybe it will boot faster. Let us know what happens.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Vmware fusion runs 4 or 5 programs in the background. It might take the extra 10 seconds to initialize these programs while booting up.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
My MBA took 12-13sec to boot up. Installed VMWare Fusion 3.x today. It's running really great in MBA. The problem is: it added additional 10 sec to boot time. My MBA is now taking 23sec to boot up. What the h*&%??? Anyone using VMWare Fusion? (BTW: I got it using black Friday discount 60% off, very nice...) :p

Less space on SSD, and OS X lack of any kind of known TRIM support will make the drive slow down eventually.

That and having to load Fusion on start-up. Try disabling it on start-up.

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
Try to do a few reboots and see if it makes any difference, so the cache goes back to the state it had when it rebooted at 12-13sec.

Less space on SSD, and OS X lack of any kind of known TRIM support will make the drive slow down eventually.
Oh my god are you saying that the +10sec comes from the SSD degrading? Seriously the SSD degrading hype needs to stop.

Halon X

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2005
Malibu, CA
I concur, Fusion runs beautifully on my 11" with 1.5GB of RAM given to the Windows 7 VM.

I rarely reboot unless I need to (new software install) so haven't noticed and really could less about my boot times. They are still very quick! I'll try to remember to pay attention next time I reboot.

tmoerel

Suspended
Jan 24, 2008
not for me

Running VMWare Fusion on a 13" ultimate. No slowdown whatsoever on bootup. Still around 15 secs. Perhaps another problem?

linkandzelda

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2010
This is defiantly to do with something called vmnet. I think it's used to create the virtual network adapter/bridge for your virtual machines. It does this on bootup during the apple logo is there and adds an extra 7 seconds to my hackintosh boot time.

double329

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
Like I said, the VM Fusion works really great in my MBA 13 Ultimate. I don't reboot the system that often. I went 4-5 days without reboot. In fact, I just reboot it for fun knowing that it only took 12 sec. Yes, I am using the bridge mode for network. Let me play around with the different setting. I did, disable it from starting up automatically. Space is not an issue here. I will post wil l find out.

If anyone interested in getting VMWare Fusion. Here is the deal posted by 9to5mac. At smithmicro.com with this coupon code "BLACDFRIDAY2010" 60% OFF sitewise.

double329

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
Everyone, after doing few testing. My MBA is now back to 12 sec booting up again. I had my VM network configuration set to bridge mode. The default is NAT. With bridge mode, the boot up time is almost double. I guess, Fusion loads few stuff at boot time. After switch the VM setting to NAT, the boot time seems to be back the way I had before installing Fusion :D

mm1250

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2007
Everyone, after doing few testing. My MBA is now back to 12 sec booting up again. I had my VM network configuration set to bridge mode. The default is NAT. With bridge mode, the boot up time is almost double. I guess, Fusion loads few stuff at boot time. After switch the VM setting to NAT, the boot time seems to be back the way I had before installing Fusion :D

Thanks for sharing. . I just finished installing Fusion on my MBA. I had it on my MBP and I did notice the boot time increase to around 27secs vs. the 15secs I used to get. I'll play around with the NAT/BRIDGE stuff.

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
I always run Windows 7 under Fusion in Unity mode. In unity mode it always gives an error prompt when I reboot, which tells me to go back to full screen. As a consequence, I always return Fusion to full screen view and close the Windows app before I reboot. That is not an inconvenience for me as I don't have any programs set to load by default when I reboot. I prefer this because it helps me avoid unwanted surprises.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.