PDA

View Full Version : Typing this on my new PowerBook G4

Backtothemac
Nov 25, 2010, 12:15 AM
I am so happy. Today I picked up a PowerBook 17" 1.5Ghz G4 with 1.5GB Ram. Of course it has the 80gb drive. YUCK. SuperDrive. No dead pixels, and is in fantastic shape. Came with a retail of Leopard, iLife 09 and get this, an additional battery that was brand new in the box! I picked it all up for $400. I know that is a little high but it is in fantastic shape.

I am taking it for a new hard drive next week, and getting the fans replaced. Total life on the machine in the five years prior to me buying it was about two weeks. I always wanted one back in the day and now I have it :)

I am actually surprised at how fast it is. Runs leopard fine, and plows through iLife with useable speed. What I can't believe is how much better iTunes runs on a five year old Mac than a brand new quad core intel PC. Amazing.

tom vilsack
Nov 25, 2010, 12:47 AM
nice find!

if you feel like taking apart your powerbook to do self upgrade...harddrive looks pretty easy...fans not so much...

http://www.ifixit.com/Device/PowerBook_G4_Aluminum_17%22_1-1.67_GHz

longwood
Nov 25, 2010, 01:05 PM
I just finished upgrading both my 15" and 17" PowerBook's hard drives - it took about 30 mins each and as long as you have the right tools it's pretty easy.

iThinkergoiMac
Nov 25, 2010, 08:17 PM
As long as you're handy with tools, I'd go for replacing the HDD yourself. And, honestly, once you've gotten to the HDD it's not much further to the fans. That's a very nice computer, hope you enjoy it!

TBH, though, I think your assessment of iTunes running faster on your PowerBook than it does on a current quad-core PC is a little bit of buyer's elation. ;) Unless the iTunes library on your PBG4 is small and the one on the PC is absolutely massive. Even my sister's HP (CoreDuo) laptop ran iTunes faster than my PowerBook.