Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
I am so happy. Today I picked up a PowerBook 17" 1.5Ghz G4 with 1.5GB Ram. Of course it has the 80gb drive. YUCK. SuperDrive. No dead pixels, and is in fantastic shape. Came with a retail of Leopard, iLife 09 and get this, an additional battery that was brand new in the box! I picked it all up for $400. I know that is a little high but it is in fantastic shape.

I am taking it for a new hard drive next week, and getting the fans replaced. Total life on the machine in the five years prior to me buying it was about two weeks. I always wanted one back in the day and now I have it :)

I am actually surprised at how fast it is. Runs leopard fine, and plows through iLife with useable speed. What I can't believe is how much better iTunes runs on a five year old Mac than a brand new quad core intel PC. Amazing.

longwood

macrumors regular
May 10, 2005
I just finished upgrading both my 15" and 17" PowerBook's hard drives - it took about 30 mins each and as long as you have the right tools it's pretty easy.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
As long as you're handy with tools, I'd go for replacing the HDD yourself. And, honestly, once you've gotten to the HDD it's not much further to the fans. That's a very nice computer, hope you enjoy it!

TBH, though, I think your assessment of iTunes running faster on your PowerBook than it does on a current quad-core PC is a little bit of buyer's elation. ;) Unless the iTunes library on your PBG4 is small and the one on the PC is absolutely massive. Even my sister's HP (CoreDuo) laptop ran iTunes faster than my PowerBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.