PDA

View Full Version : Powermac G5 1.8GHz DP...Will a SATA optical drive work?

lumine01
Nov 25, 2010, 04:28 AM
I know the computer specs say that it uses SATA for the drive bus, and IDE for the optical drive, but is it possible to replace the IDE optical drive with a SATA (Blu-Ray) drive?

I tried searching for the answer here and elsewhere, but came up empty-handed. Thanks in advance for any help!!

OrangeSVTguy
Nov 25, 2010, 09:45 AM
I know the computer specs say that it uses SATA for the drive bus, and IDE for the optical drive, but is it possible to replace the IDE optical drive with a SATA (Blu-Ray) drive?

I tried searching for the answer here and elsewhere, but came up empty-handed. Thanks in advance for any help!!

Yes you could as long as you run a longer SATA cable to the motherboard but you only have 2 SATA connections and those are for the hard drives so you will lose one hard drive connection. You can also always get a SATA PCI card if you need more SATA ports.

Just be aware that you can't watch commercial Blu-rays on a Mac. You can still however rip the BD discs and then watch them but I think the dual 1.8ghz might struggle with 1080p videos. My 2.5ghz quad won't even play my 1080p rips.

lumine01
Nov 26, 2010, 01:19 AM
Perfect, thank you! Also, thanks for the heads-up about being able to play/watch the Blu-Rays. Fortunately, my intention is to install the new drive into my G5 in order to rip my Blu-Rays onto an external drive connected to an iMac. :) Great to hear that I can utilize the SATA already in the tower to give the Blu-Ray drive a happy home, thanks again!

XaPHER
Nov 26, 2010, 05:56 PM
you will lose one hard drive connection

You could connect up to 2 ATA drives if you use the Optical Drive's controller, too.

OrangeSVTguy
Nov 26, 2010, 06:58 PM
You could connect up to 2 ATA drives if you use the Optical Drive's controller, too.

Yeah I threw hard drives in that space before but I had no idea that bus would work with two devices.

VanneDC
Dec 4, 2010, 05:53 PM
would a ide->sata convertor work?

OrangeSVTguy
Dec 4, 2010, 08:18 PM
would a ide->sata convertor work?

You'll be limited to the IDE speeds though but that shouldn't matter since it's a optical drive.