Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wiSeZo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2004
Is there a way to delete a partition without a 3rd party application?? Just going in the terminal and deleting the partition. If i'm correct, can anyone here know how? I don't know much about macs so please excuse the newbie-ness. =]

and thanks in advance for replying.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
I don't know about the terminal command, but have you tried disk utility?

Go to: Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility

Select the partition, and see if you are able to click delete.

I've never done it, though, so I don't know if it works.

Norouzi

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
I'm not sure if you can delete a partition without having to reformat the entire drive. I am pretty sure however that even if you are able to simply delete it that space will not be applied to any other partitions for that drive. You'll basicly be left with one formated partition, and some unalocated (sp) space. If your looking to have your drive be a single partition again I believe that you'll need to backup everything and reformat it. I'm not 100% sure on that though.

wiSeZo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2004
Yeah I want it to be a single partition and I have went to disk utility but it's locked. So I figured if I load OS X onto my external hd and boot from that I can partition my iBook's hd. That might work but if anyone has any other way of doing this, can you please post it. Thanks alot.

mslifkin

macrumors regular
May 14, 2004
New Jersey
wiSeZo said:
Yeah I want it to be a single partition and I have went to disk utility but it's locked. So I figured if I load OS X onto my external hd and boot from that I can partition my iBook's hd. That might work but if anyone has any other way of doing this, can you please post it. Thanks alot.
Hi,

What you should probably do is use a utility like Carbon Copy Cloner to make a bootable clone of your iBook on an external hard drive. Once this is done boot from the external drive, and repartition your iBooks drive. The reason for cloning it first is that the process of repartitioning will delete all your data. Once the drive is partitioned the way you want run Carbon Copy Cloner again to put all your stuff back on your iBook's drive. That should do it. Good luck!

Regards,
Marc

Norouzi

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
wiSeZo said:

That sounds like what you'll have to do. I'd recomend using Carbon Copy Cloner, you can clone your existing OS X partition to your External HD and it will be an exact copy. Boot from that, initialise your iBooks drive into a single partition, and then clone your external drive back to the iBook. Then you've still got all your settings and files.

I've used Carbon Copy Cloner in some service instances, and also when I upgraded the HD in my PowerMac. I didn't have any problems with files, the only issue I noticed was that some of my dock icons didn't work anymore, but I just re-added them and everything was fine. Good Luck.

EDIT: mslifkin you beat me to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.