PDA

View Full Version : trading a g4 tibook for a g3 ibook

g4 powerbookboy
Nov 25, 2010, 07:37 AM
Happy Thanksgiving fellow mac friends, have a great holiday!

my buddy has a g3 ibook that he likes but it wont run a program that he needs for his home business, claims it needs a g4 or better processor. I have a g4 tibook the original model that is in perfect shape I told him id trade him my tibook for the ibook since his ibook is in nice shape. he used my g4 for a week, then says its a nce laptop but he wants to sell his ibook and buy something newer so he can watch youtube music videos without any buffering, so i think im about to get screwed and end up having to keep my tibook. still say the ibook is nicer, has a smaller screen and actually seems a little lighter when carried even though the specs say my tibook is lighter. question is should i be pissed at him or should i be happy that i have the g4 tibook instead of a g3 ibook. what is a better laptop my g4 tibook or a g3 dual usb ibook?

i should be happy that my ti book is still an apple since apple's rule!! :apple:

MacinDan
Nov 26, 2010, 01:27 AM
An original model TiBook in perfect shape? That's pretty rare. You might want to keep that as a collector's item.

alust2013
Nov 26, 2010, 01:45 AM
An original model TiBook in perfect shape? That's pretty rare. You might want to keep that as a collector's item.

Yeah, while both of those computers are reaching the end of their useful life, and it might be time to upgrade, the TiBook is definitely a superior computer, and a much cooler one in my opinion.

g4 powerbookboy
Nov 26, 2010, 10:05 AM
theres no question, my tibook is a nice computer and still considerably faster than my old windows laptop. however the ibook is a really cute computer with its cute white case and smaller size. :apple:

iThinkergoiMac
Nov 26, 2010, 05:17 PM
A G4 is so much faster than a G3 that I wouldn't consider trading a G4 for a G3. Just my opinion. Plus, as others have mentioned, if it's in good condition your computer is rarer than the one you'd be trading it for.

g4 powerbookboy
Nov 26, 2010, 08:42 PM
well it kinda looks like i may be forced into keeping my g4 tibook. my buddy came in to the starbucks tonight, he claims he wants to sell the ibook to get a newer mac, so he can watch you tube music videos without buffering. he wants to work with me doing foreclosure and eviction notice service, kinda looks like he wont be since he wont do what i told him to. he can stay driving the taxi at night and barely be able to make a living. i use the laptop in the vehicle for work and a smaller screen is better big screen you can see too easy. smaller screen one would have to pay more attention to screen than driving, thats fine with me. :apple:

iThinkergoiMac
Nov 26, 2010, 08:51 PM
Oh wow. Wow... I can't believe how self-righteous and condescending this post is. You're honestly telling this guy he can't work with you because he won't trade computers with you? That's about the worst qualification for work I've ever heard of.

There's so much wrong with this post that I'm honestly inclined to believe the whole thing is a joke.

g4 powerbookboy
Nov 26, 2010, 08:59 PM
Oh wow. Wow... I can't believe how self-righteous and condescending this post is. You're honestly telling this guy he can't work with you because he won't trade computers with you? That's about the worst qualification for work I've ever heard of.

There's so much wrong with this post that I'm honestly inclined to believe the whole thing is a joke.

whats wrong with that, he doesnt do what i tell him then asks for favors? hmmm sounds like hes the one with issues

iThinkergoiMac
Nov 26, 2010, 10:54 PM
whats wrong with that, he doesnt do what i tell him then asks for favors? hmmm sounds like hes the one with issues

He's not obligated to do what you tell him to (and the very fact that you're using the phraseology "he didn't do what I told him to" as opposed to "what I wanted/asked him to" seems to give an indication you think he is). Even if you're his boss, trading computers is not something that's part of that relationship, it's out of the workplace.

He may not be the smartest guy (if he wants to sell his computer, he'd get more for a TiBook G4 than an iBook G3), but saying he can't work with you since he won't trade computers (implying that he could if he did) seems to me a poor way to decide such a thing. If I was considering someone to work with me, I'd make the decision based on the person's skill set and work ethic, not whether or not that person is willing to trade computers or do what I tell him to that's not work-related.

If he doesn't want your computer, he doesn't want it. It sounds like it won't really do what he wants, so why should he trade for it? If you want an iBook G3 so badly, just sell your TiBook and buy one off eBay with the money. An iBook G3 is worth much less than a TiBook.

g4 powerbookboy
Nov 27, 2010, 07:47 PM
the biggest issue i have is the size of the screen on my tibook is 15.2 inches which makes it way too easy to see what is on the screen when it is being used for work in my vehicle. i would much rather have a smaller screen in the vehicle so when i get messages or information on a person i am looking for i would have to stare at it instead of aying full attention to traffic, ill still use my cell when im driving as well as programming the next address in the gps while moving. i have a 4500 pound truck so not to worried about me getting injured in a crash. if it was a 10 or 11 inch screen it would be perfect. since i have a badge im not too worried about the legalities of using it in the van.

cootersgarage6
Nov 27, 2010, 09:54 PM
That's a great deal, the Ibook g3 is like 2-3 years older than the TIbook.. it's fine, but you still really need to upgrade.

California
Nov 27, 2010, 09:56 PM
the biggest issue i have is the size of the screen on my tibook is 15.2 inches which makes it way too easy to see what is on the screen when it is being used for work in my vehicle. i would much rather have a smaller screen in the vehicle so when i get messages or information on a person i am looking for i would have to stare at it instead of aying full attention to traffic, ill still use my cell when im driving as well as programming the next address in the gps while moving. i have a 4500 pound truck so not to worried about me getting injured in a crash. if it was a 10 or 11 inch screen it would be perfect. since i have a badge im not too worried about the legalities of using it in the van.

Then what the hey is stopping you from getting your own last generation iBook G4 with a 12" screen and with a 1.33 processor?

Just sell your tibook and buy your own iBook G4.

Leave your friend alone with his crappy iBook G3.

iThinkergoiMac
Nov 27, 2010, 10:07 PM
Again, your posts show a complete disregard for anyone's well-being but your own.

the biggest issue i have is the size of the screen on my tibook is 15.2 inches which makes it way too easy to see what is on the screen when it is being used for work in my vehicle.

It's ridiculously dangerous to use your computer while driving, but it's obvious you don't care about that.

i would much rather have a smaller screen in the vehicle so when i get messages or information on a person i am looking for i would have to stare at it instead of aying full attention to traffic, ill still use my cell when im driving as well as programming the next address in the gps while moving.

So you'd rather pay more attention to your computer than traffic? Somehow I think this was misworded. Still, you plan on using your computer, cell phone, and GPS all while driving!

i have a 4500 pound truck so not to worried about me getting injured in a crash.

No regard for the other people you might injure or kill in such a crash?!

if it was a 10 or 11 inch screen it would be perfect.

Get a OS X compatible netbook then.

since i have a badge im not too worried about the legalities of using it in the van.

So now we have abuse of power.

Let me know what state/city you live in so I can make sure never to drive there.

g4 powerbookboy
Nov 28, 2010, 07:41 AM
actually the work i do is far more dangerous than using the computer while driving, i am a bail enforcement officer (chasing people who are out on bond that do not show up for the court dates) and serving foreclosure and eviction notices. besides that point, there was someone else in the starbucks this morning who has a g3 ibook same specs as my friends 500 g3 processor and 576 ram. we set the two computers up side by side, it is quite suprising how much faster my g4 tibook is even though it has a g4 400 processor and 512 ram. its not anywhere as cute as the white g3 ibook though plus you dont see as many males using the cute little white g3 ibooks so thats a problem too more females use them so thats a big reason for me to get one. better to use a more feminine computer being a male than using one that doesnt look feminine. :apple:

iMpathetic
Nov 28, 2010, 07:52 AM
its not anywhere as cute as the white g3 ibook though plus you dont see as many males using the cute little white g3 ibooks so thats a problem too more females use them so thats a big reason for me to get one. better to use a more feminine computer being a male than using one that doesnt look feminine. :apple:

Uhhh... you might want to get the reasoning for the above post looked at before you get a different Mac.

g4 powerbookboy
Nov 28, 2010, 08:02 AM
ummm, why?

just was looking at ebay..... anything that appears to be half way decent is over $250.00 usd.

iMpathetic
Nov 28, 2010, 08:03 AM
ummm, why?

just was looking at ebay..... anything that appears to be half way decent is over $250.00 usd.

Yep, old Macs are terrifically overvalued. Hell, you can get a decent PMG5 for that kind of money.

g4 powerbookboy
Nov 28, 2010, 08:09 AM
havent seen too many macbooks or macbook pros in the nice cute white color.

not real thrilled with intel products anyway.

iMpathetic
Nov 28, 2010, 08:17 AM
havent seen too many macbooks or macbook pros in the nice cute white color.

not real thrilled with intel products anyway.

... and why aren't you thrilled with intel products?

They don't make MacBook Pros in the "nice cute white color".

I can understand people who stick to PowerPC for financial reasons or because they can't justify upgrading. Anyone who can say PowerPC Macs are better with a straight face needs their head examined.

g4 powerbookboy
Nov 28, 2010, 08:49 AM
anything i ever had with an intel processor was pure crap, never lasted more than a year of being on 24/7

they should make the macbook pro in a 11 inch screen and the nice cute white color then it would be a really cute computer

iMpathetic
Nov 28, 2010, 08:55 AM
anything i ever had with an intel processor was pure crap, never lasted more than a year of being on 24/7

they should make the macbook pro in a 11 inch screen and the nice cute white color then it would be a really cute computer

Made my day.

g4 powerbookboy
Nov 28, 2010, 09:16 AM
thats a good thing especially its the end of the holiday weekend. :)

Cox Orange
Nov 28, 2010, 09:58 AM
allthough I do not know how to classify you in ethics (maybe this is all big understanding problem and you are the niecest guy), I would say:

1. if you want a PowerPC Mac (e.g. G3, G4) with small display, take the ibook G4 1,33GHz 12", put the max RAM in it (which is 1,5GB PC2700 DDR-RAM), as allready mentioned here.
OR: take the PowerBook G4 1,5GHz, 12", max RAM 1,25GB (different graphics card).
the ibook G4 has 687 point on Geekbench, the PB G4 has 726 points (though benching is not everything it gives just a tiny hint, how they compare).

2. if you need the smallest Intel-ting, take the MacBook Air 11" which has Geekbench points arround 2000. It is not "cute white", but smallest, have a look if you are satisfied with ports provided.

3. if you just need a cheap option for just doing your work get a netbook and put linux or windows on it. there are plenty white netbooks. I do not know, what special make-related features you urgently need, but Excel and Internet wil be fine on a cheap netbook with wondows, too.
Of course, with a non apple netbook you can't show off at Starbucks (in europe the opinion is, that only people go to starbucks, that want to be seen being at starbucks while using their Mac and pretending to be important, just typing on it, oh and of course wear a polo neck!)
I do not know how the cliche is in USA).

here you can compare Macs http://www.everymac.com/ultimate-mac-comparison-chart/?compare=all-g3-g4-g5-intel-macs

By the way, I still have an ibook G4 and it is still capable of watching youtube. Though I think it will not take long till those PPCs fall short. If you do mainly office things anyway, it will still do its job.

g4 powerbookboy
Nov 28, 2010, 10:23 AM
my g4 tibook can watch youyube fine too, his g3 ibook has issues with it, i think it comes down to he wants perfection. I really dont think i would use anything but apple machines, but if i ever did i would never use windows.... windows really sucks. :apple:

iThinkergoiMac
Nov 28, 2010, 11:27 AM
actually the work i do is far more dangerous than using the computer while driving

So that justifies putting other people in danger while you drive?

This statement is a textbook example of a logical fallacy.

iThinkergoiMac
Nov 28, 2010, 11:32 AM

Not because the processor is crap, but because the rest of the computer was. You're blaming Intel for Dell's (or any other crappy PC maker) problem of using low-quality parts.

Did the processor itself fail in those computers? I bet not. I bet it was the crappy HDD or motherboard that Intel didn't make. Intel Macs have just a strong history of quality as PPC Macs do.

iMpathetic
Nov 28, 2010, 01:06 PM
Actually, the only machines I've hard about having reasonably widespread CPU issues have been -- wait for it -- the Power Mac G5s. ;)

Yeah, it wasn't the intel CPUs in your old computers.

California
Nov 28, 2010, 01:22 PM
Dear OP

Just get a G4 iBook and stop this stupid thread. You are too much of a newbie to add anything but strangeness to the conversation at this point.

JFYI, there is actually an upgrade to your old Tibook that Daystar used to do, I think you can max it up to 1 ghz or at least 550mhz.

Other than this, just buy a 12" iBook G4 1.33ghz, max out the hard drive and ram, and if you are really adventurous, you can drop a PATA/IDE superdrive dvd burner in it.

Then stand down because any one that wants a G3 iBook after knowing the facts is... nuts.

g4 powerbookboy
Nov 28, 2010, 05:58 PM
i should be happy i got my tibook. i had a g3 powerbook pismo with the same specs as my friends ibook and when i got my tibook i was much happer with the tibook then my old g3. however i dont take kindly to people changing their minds and ending up making me change what i was planning on doing. it might just be easier to not help him get the job with me and then maybe in a month or 2 i will get to have him on my eviction list. revenge is sweet. as dog the bounty hunter would say i can be your best chance for needed help or your worst nightmare its your choice, so it really is his choice and i think he chose the wrong option.

iMpathetic
Nov 28, 2010, 06:56 PM
however i dont take kindly to people changing their minds and ending up making me change what i was planning on doing. it might just be easier to not help him get the job with me and then maybe in a month or 2 i will get to have him on my eviction list. revenge is sweet.

Hopefully, you end up on your own eviction list. You're being an absolute self-centered jerk here, and I hope you realize it.

You're seriously that willing to have him get evicted as revenge for... not trading you a $150 laptop?

California
Nov 28, 2010, 07:58 PM
Hopefully, you end up on your own eviction list. You're being an absolute self-centered jerk here, and I hope you realize it.

You're seriously that willing to have him get evicted as revenge for... not trading you a $150 laptop?

It's a 70 dollar laptop. Let's not feed the trollybeast

g4 powerbookboy
Nov 28, 2010, 08:05 PM
first of all i can never be evicted since the house is paid off. even if i was able to be evicted, it wouldnt bother bother me in the least since i wouldnt mind living in my van.

annk
Nov 29, 2010, 02:35 PM
The worst of the off-topic train wreck is now dealt with, but I'm closing the thread regardless.