Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ramw5p

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
Hi guys, my wife decided she wants a itouch for xmas. She has a phone that cant text..no text plan...so if i get her the latest itouch can she tect form it easily..or is i difficult? I know we would need wifi to start with :). Thanks

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
Get her one of the free texting apps that gives her a phone number. She can text from that as much as she wants, and if someone tries to call her, she will get a notification.

I actually use my touch as a phone (because TextFreeUnlimited allows me to make calls) and it's totally free :)

pukifloyd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Scottsdale
Wow, can the iPod Touch be used as a cellphone? I thought it couldn't connect to cellphone networks, only Wifi.

If you have wifi near you all the time, then you can use one of the many available voip apps to call people and even receive calls

OP, your wife can use the textplus 4 (free app) to send and receive messages. I use it and its awesome. You even get a phone number so other people can text you any time (if you have wifi around you).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.