PDA

View Full Version : in-depth look at iWork 05

MacBytes
Jan 17, 2005, 12:47 PM
Category: Photos
Link: in-depth look at iWork 05 (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050117134709)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

macreator
Jan 17, 2005, 01:04 PM
Is it just me or does this link not work? MacShrine.com does not seem to load for me at all.

maya
Jan 17, 2005, 01:05 PM
Is it just me or does this link not work? MacShrine.com does not seem to load for me at all.

Works for me. :)

Is it just me or are these pictures not in order. :p

macreator
Jan 17, 2005, 01:11 PM

Damn it, I guess there's something wrong with my connection or I've been banned but I doubt the latter reason ;) .

3Memos
Jan 17, 2005, 01:17 PM
How do you re-order the pages in Pages? Seems a tad complicated. Plus you cannot explicitly choose a font, without having to change the style of the template. :confused:

pourhadi
Jan 17, 2005, 02:02 PM
How do you re-order the pages in Pages? Seems a tad complicated. Plus you cannot explicitly choose a font, without having to change the style of the template. :confused:

Sure you can, in the Inspector.

wdlove
Jan 17, 2005, 02:02 PM

Is it just me or are these pictures not in order. :p

It's nice to know that I'm not alone, was thinking the same thing myself as I viewed them. Great minds think alike. ;)

ac2102
Jan 17, 2005, 02:09 PM
Anyone else think that the screenshots of the "properties" boxes look suspiciously similar to the ones used in OmniGraffle?

ac2102

nagromme
Jan 17, 2005, 02:09 PM
Templates make global font (and other) changes easy, instead of a painful manual process.

For other types of document, where you want a wide variety of fonts all at once instead of automatic consistency, a template might not be the way to go.

dstorey
Jan 17, 2005, 02:22 PM
If it's anything like Keynote 1.0, it'll be easy to change the font. There is a font icon at the end of the toolbar, which opens the standard os x font dialogue, same as if you press Apple T.

Reordering pages, you just click and grab the page in the left hand side of the window and drag to the position you want. As Pages doesn't seem to have the list of pages down the side, maybe it's in a draw.

pics don't seem to be in order as it does that dumb computer thing where it counts 1, 12, 13... 2, 21, 22 etc. Windows does that anyway.

Does anyone have any idea what the standard format is that pages uses to save a document. Keynote uses APML (apple presentation mark-up language), but there is no mention in pages, just what it exports to.

Wonder what extra apps we will get to iWork '06 to allow it to be a better Appleworks replacement and catch up with iLife. If we work on what Appleworks does, and iLife's five apps, we could guess that there could be a spreadsheet (Cells, Ledger etc), a Painting application (Canvas, Paint, Sketch) and a Database, possibly a cut down version of filemaker a la garage band to logic express, or something using similar technology but making use of core data and SQLite.

Using core data could allow it to generate templates for a database based on data already stored using core data, such as the Address book, iLife libraries or other such app integration. For example, you might want to have a nicely formatted database report of all your songs in iTunes that you could email or print off, with further details you've added. A painting package could be either a chart drawing app for easy professional looking charts to insert into Pages and Keynote (similar to Omni Graffle but more polished) or a sort of Illustrator light, and far better than MS Paint (not hard) or both depending on templates used. I wouldn't be surprised to see Pages 2.0 expand on it's ability do produce web pages, by allowing Quicktime movies and flash animations etc. The way it separates the text content from the styling, using the style menu, already makes it in theory well designed to use CSS for styling throughout when exported to html.

munkle
Jan 17, 2005, 02:42 PM

Looks like we're in the same boat, the link doesn't work for me either. Neither does MacShrine.com :confused:

Blaaze
Jan 19, 2005, 08:55 AM
The one feature I really dig in Keynote 2.0 is the ability to use two displays when making presentations. No more flipping around will give it a much more professional feel.

deral
Jan 22, 2005, 03:38 AM
Hmm...is it just me or is the Image Library Feature gone from the menu bars. It's still there (user/Libarary/Applications.....), but I'm guessing the iLife Media function replaces the library thing.

I can't do Burn and Flash transitions on my computer (my computers not strong enough). Anyone know what they look like or what?