PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to rescan Mac OS X USB ports?

Littleodie914
Jan 17, 2005, 01:15 PM
Hey guys, I have a DWL-122 USB Wireless dongle thing (yea, I know, bad purchase) and I'm having a few issues with it. I've got most of them worked out, except for the fact that everytime the computer goes to sleep, the dongle disconnects. In order to turn it back on again, I have to unplug it then plug it back in. On our iMac G5, this gets very frustrating having to reach behind the computer and do this every time the computer sleeps. I've tried plugging it into the keyboard, but there isn't enough power available. Is there a terminal command or maybe an applescript that can rescan the USB bus(es)? Thanks, I'd really appreciate it! :)

Mechcozmo
Jan 17, 2005, 02:18 PM
Can you just sell it and buy an Airport Extreme card? I'm assuming the wireless dongle is for 802.11 b/g and not Bluetooth?

Littleodie914
Jan 17, 2005, 03:40 PM
Can you just sell it and buy an Airport Extreme card? I'm assuming the wireless dongle is for 802.11 b/g and not Bluetooth?I could, and I was considering this as a second option. I'm saving up for a trip to spain though, and the dongle is pretty old, 802.11b, and I had to take the internal chip out of its case to fit into the USB port of my old clamshell.

If at all possible, a free solution would be my favorite ;)

Are there possibly any unix/terminal commands that rescan the ports?

BFedrec
Feb 9, 2005, 04:10 PM
Well you're doing well to not have that thing crashing your new machine. The driver only works if you're using 10.3.2 and if you've got patches past that it locks up the system regularly (for me at least, on my G4 iBook). I'm now in the "get an airport card" camp (as well as the "this piece of junk adapter is going in a PC now" camp).

CharlesP