Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

US Marine

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Charleston, SC
So I'm brand new to Macs. I'm trying to relearn everything I know in Windows, and it's a bit overwhelming! Anyway I'm stumped by something that seems like it should be rather simple. I'm trying to listen to XM Radio Online. Safari tells me that the required plugin is not installed, but it doesn't give me any option to install it! So I installed Chrome thinking it would be smarter than Safari. Chrome shows me the little plugin icon, but it doesn't let me install the plugin either. How the heck am I supposed to install plugins in these browsers?
I've been using PC's since the days of DOS. I've developed software, built web sites, built machines, created networks, etc. But now I feel like such a noob. :confused:

dj2mc

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2010
Ottawa, ON [CAN]
So I'm brand new to Macs. I'm trying to relearn everything I know in Windows, and it's a bit overwhelming! Anyway I'm stumped by something that seems like it should be rather simple. I'm trying to listen to XM Radio Online. Safari tells me that the required plugin is not installed, but it doesn't give me any option to install it! So I installed Chrome thinking it would be smarter than Safari. Chrome shows me the little plugin icon, but it doesn't let me install the plugin either. How the heck am I supposed to install plugins in these browsers?
I've been using PC's since the days of DOS. I've developed software, built web sites, built machines, created networks, etc. But now I feel like such a noob. :confused:

I noticed you haven't mentioned Mozilla Firefox. Use that, largest support for plugins/add-ons...
Just click Here for your plugin/add-on needs. And, Firefox is the smoothest running I think.
Good luck.

US Marine

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Charleston, SC
Well, I just love Chrome for Windows. I used to use Firefox, but once I made the switch to Chrome I never looked back! However, after reading a bit it seems that Chrome for OS X is just too new to be recommended over Firefox. I guess I'll go with Firefox instead.

dj2mc

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2010
Ottawa, ON [CAN]
Well, I just love Chrome for Windows. I used to use Firefox, but once I made the switch to Chrome I never looked back! However, after reading a bit it seems that Chrome for OS X is just too new to be recommended over Firefox. I guess I'll go with Firefox instead.

TBH Chrome for Windows is more stable than OSX. I'd recommend Firefox for OSX any day. Safari is nice for small/quick things, it just doesn't have the add-on/plugin support like Firefox.

McRCN

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2010
Virginia
I also just made the PC to Mac switch. I love Chrome and downloaded the Mac version and works much the same as on my PC. It even ported over all my bookmarks as soon as I logged in. I was able to install most of my plugins too. I was off and surfing in no time.

US Marine

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Charleston, SC
If what I've read is correct, they use windows media player, so I think what you need is the Flip4mac plugin available at http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/video/flip4macwindowsmediacomponentsforquicktime.html

You may need to install an additional plugin depending on your browser, but I would try this. Anybody else have any ideas?

Yeah that's what I ended up getting, in addition to Firefox rather than Chrome. No matter though; the XM Radio Online player can't be manipulated. The buttons for pausing, playback, volume, etc simply do not appear no matter what browser is being used.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.