PDA

View Full Version : Powermac G4 + N router

markgodley
Nov 26, 2010, 11:03 AM
hey.

i recently bought this:

BELKIN HIGH-SPEED MODE WIRELESS G PCI CARD +4DBI OMNI-DIRECTION WIFI ANTENNA - MODEL: F5D70.

However we have now upgraded to 50meg broadband and a new N router. But now the powermac G4 (dual 1ghz) wont pick up the router. I assume this is due to the G -> compatibility.

Any solutions/suggestions?

666sheep
Nov 26, 2010, 07:04 PM
Is your router "g" compatible?

If so, theoretically it's matter of settings.

If not, and your router is 2.4 GHz or Dual band, buy something like this: http://www.welovemacs.com/mawlusbn150.html

markgodley
Nov 27, 2010, 03:34 AM
Thanks for the reply.

Here is the spec of my D-LINK DIR-615 N Router:
Standards

* IEEE 802.11b
* IEEE 802.11g
* IEEE 802.11n

Wireless Frequency Range
* 2.4GHz to 2.497GHz

Antennas

* Dual external 2dBi Gain reverse SMA antennas

So does that mean i need the thing u post?

arogge
Nov 27, 2010, 04:50 AM
Did you configure the new router correctly? Did you check for any IP address conflicts with your new networking equipment? Does the network card detect any wireless networks? Is any other networked device able to detect the router? What happens if you plug the network card into the router with a cable? Can you ping the router? Are there any relevant error messages?

markgodley
Nov 27, 2010, 05:03 AM
Hey,

I have 3 other macs connected to the N router. On the powermac it doesnt even see any routers (it used to pick up my old g router) even when i press rescan it doesnt find any networks.

here is a screenshot of my settings:

arogge
Nov 28, 2010, 03:05 PM
Did you try plugging the network card into the new router with a cable? Did you check System Preferences in OS X and make sure that your network settings weren't broken when you changed equipment?

OrangeSVTguy
Nov 29, 2010, 05:24 PM
I think it has to do with the wireless encryption you are using. I can't remember of the top of my head but I think the newer protections won't work with the older OS. What OS version do you have installed on the G4, Tiger or Leopard? Make sure they are updated fully. 10.4.11 for Tiger and 10.5.8 or Leopard.

Can't remember what versions were compatible with what OS versions. Maybe someone who knows more about wireless networking would know more?

Maybe you can try to remove the network password or at least set it to WEP 64bit to see if your G4 will recognize it then? Those are easy to crack so don't use that as a permanent setting.