Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhazonUK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2010
Originally I was going to get an AirPort Express for music streaming, but then I thought for £20 I could just get an Apple TV. So...

1. Will the Apple TV work for music streaming without it's HDMI cable connected to anything? It will be plugged in to my home cinema system with an optical cable.

2. Does AirPlay work on any WiFi network? Or does my router have to support something special?

3. What's it like for audio streaming?

4. Video AirPlay. Is it restricted to which apps it works with? Does VLC work or does AirPlay just send the video file to the ATV?

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010
1) I haven't tried this, but I don't see why it shouldn't work.

2) It should work on any wireless network, subject to network speed. Any relatively modern router should be fine. Some people have reported poor network performance though and that could be due to the router they are using.

3) Subject to network speed, audio streaming is excellent, and I haven't seen any reports of people having trouble. You can audio stream to multiple Apple TV's and the synchronisation is excellent.

4) Video Airplay just works with the native video app and the youtube app at the moment. VLC doesn't send the video to the Apple TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.