Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should I buy the new Apple TV?

• Yes

Votes: 19 82.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 17.4%

• Total voters

Apple...

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 6, 2010
The United States
I'm wondering - should I buy the new Apple TV now or wait? How likely is it that it will get access to the App Store/ be able to turn it into a gaming system through iOS 5 or so? I thinking of getting one after Christmas... I'm shocked at how tiny it is! It looks awesome and can't wait to get my hands on one! :D

RyanPlugs

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2010
The thing with Apple is that they will always have an update to product X in a further 12 - 18 months. If your happy with what is available at the moment then buy it, otherwise wait, as there will always be another product around the corner.

Last edited:

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
I'm wondering - should I buy the new Apple TV now or wait? How likely is it that it will get access to the App Store/ be able to turn it into a gaming system through iOS 5 or so? I thinking of getting one after Christmas... I'm shocked at how tiny it is! It looks awesome and can't wait to get my hands on one! :D

It's a great little machine for streaming audio and video - I do expect it to have an App Store at some point in time. I can't see it ever being much of a game machine. Just my $.02.....

Apple...

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 6, 2010
The United States
Well if you want it more for apps than playing back iTunes content on your TV, I would say wait.
I'd probably do a little of both. I don't need lots of storage for apps either (I've heard the ATV has 8GB). As long as this current generation is guaranteed App Store/ gaming support, I'm happy. :)

The thing with Apple is that they will always have an update to product X in a further 12 - 18 months. If your happy with what is available at the moment then buy it, otherwise wait, as there will always be another product around the corner.
Thanks for the advice! ;)

It's a great little machine for streaming audio and video - I do expect it to have an App Store at some point in time. I can't see it ever being much of a game machine. Just my $.02.....
Really? I think it has potential. :cool:

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
This Apple TV update took 4 years on the hardware side, but each year Apple has provided software updates. Just buy it now. The Apple TV hardware is not something that gets much attention.

Apple...

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 6, 2010
The United States
This Apple TV update took 4 years on the hardware side, but each year Apple has provided software updates. Just buy it now. The Apple TV hardware is not something that gets much attention.
You're probably right. When it comes to new hardware, there's not much I could see them updating it with. More RAM/ storage is all that comes to mind. Any other ideas? If not, I think I see a green light up ahead. Thanks everyone! :)

Meever

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2009
I would wait. IF Apple allows an app store and new features then Apple TV is going to be something amazing. However, in it's current form it's nothing more than a itunes streamer.

A video streaming device that only supports ONE format?! Insanity! After using apps like airvideo or ps3+medialink combo I see some real potential in the Apple TV. However, in it's current condition I can't really justify it's existence....

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
So you call it "just an iTunes streamer" and iTunes is the most widely used media manager in the world with tens of millions of users and you "can't really justify its existence"?

Wow that's a very odd statement to make. Especially considering it's the only device that is as highly integrated with iTunes and capable of streaming pretty much everything from the most widely used media manager in the world. Certainly much more than any other media streamer. That alone justifies its existence. It would be silly for Apple and a disservice to their customers to create something as powerful as iTunes and not come up with a way to get all of that content to your TV and home theater system easily.

Last edited:

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
I'm also considering the Apple TV. I want to display photo's with it. Is it possible to display photo's on my TV at a resolution of 1920x1080?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.