PDA

View Full Version : Halo worth updating?

Eevee
Jan 17, 2005, 03:22 PM
Just got Halo, Combat Evolved (1.0.2) during the break.

But heard that there are updates (1.5?) Is it worth upgrading? I have a 15.4 PB, 1.5 Ghz, 2 gig ram, 128 VRAM. Is it worth upgrade to 1.5? Or should I upgrade to 1.0.3?

Sorry if this thread has been posted before.

chv400
Jan 17, 2005, 04:46 PM
The update to 1.5 makes more servers avalible but i found that it also makes you look like a string puttet if your comp is subpar like mine. Your comp will be fine after the update.

Nermal
Jan 17, 2005, 05:15 PM
1.5 makes it look a LOT better :D

On the downside, you will need to insert the CD to play.

applekid
Jan 17, 2005, 06:06 PM
It's all about getting the maximum number of servers, so update!

crazzyeddie
Jan 17, 2005, 06:35 PM
1.5.1 is the actual current version, which fixes the graphical glitches from 1.5. It is definitely worth the update.

Eevee
Jan 18, 2005, 10:29 AM
Thanks you guys for the response. I will update to 1.5.1. I will not enjoy using the CD all the time, though to play this game...sigh

bigus7674
Jan 18, 2005, 03:22 PM
I have quite a few games that require the CD or DVD to be inserted to play (ie Lord of the Rings). There is a workaround however. If you own or can get a copy of Toast Titanium 5.2 or later, all you need to do is launch the program, insert the game CD or DVD, go to file and choose Save as Disk Image, and save it to your hard drive. After it's done, you should have the icon on your desktop...double click the icon, choose Mount from Toast and you're all set to play! Enjoy=)

Eevee
Jan 18, 2005, 04:43 PM
I have quite a few games that require the CD or DVD to be inserted to play (ie Lord of the Rings). There is a workaround however. If you own or can get a copy of Toast Titanium 5.2 or later, all you need to do is launch the program, insert the game CD or DVD, go to file and choose Save as Disk Image, and save it to your hard drive. After it's done, you should have the icon on your desktop...double click the icon, choose Mount from Toast and you're all set to play! Enjoy=)

Is this true? Will it work for Halo? That will be great! Now I need to get a hand on Toast Titanium 5.2!

Thanks!

benpatient
Jan 18, 2005, 04:48 PM
doesn't always work.

in fact, the same game will work this way for some people and not for others. There is a copy-protection algorythm on a lot of these games, and well...it usually involves burning unreadable errors into the disc so that a copy won't be identical...this applies to HD images, as well...but you might be able to do this with halo, i donno.

applekid
Jan 18, 2005, 06:24 PM
Yeah, you're making a disk image. Disk Utility can make a .dmg file for you. There's some complete instructions on how to make these legal backups in this forum. Try giving it a search or hope that someone can post a link for you.

Anyways, it's not a 100% thing, but it doesn't hurt to try. Just remember you're giving up about 600 MB of HD disk space. If you feel it's worth it, go ahead.

a2daj
Jan 19, 2005, 03:12 PM
I don't know of many Mac that use the copy protection scheme benpatient mentioned. Console games heavily rely on that method but not Mac gaming. The only publisher that seems to heavily rely on disk based copy protection is Feral. They use Safedisk AFAICT. Other companies just have basic disk checks. A backup copy should work just as good as the original assuming the backup was made properly. The method the app uses for disk checks determines whether disk images work and what type of disk images. Some of Aspyr's recent patches seem to have improved disk checks so disk images no longer work.

Eevee
Jan 19, 2005, 04:19 PM
How do you make a back up copy of the original CD? Toast? Has anyone tried using a backup copy to play Halo?

BTW, thanks for all the reply!

Eevee (aka "Maximus" online)

pgc6000
Jan 20, 2005, 01:47 PM
How do you make a back up copy of the original CD? Toast? Has anyone tried using a backup copy to play Halo?

BTW, thanks for all the reply!

Eevee (aka "Maximus" online)
You can make a back up file bu using Disk Utility which is build in OS X. Atleast for 10.3. You need a disc with lots of space though. Halo is a large game.

I think you should update. More servers...

Eevee
Jan 20, 2005, 04:18 PM
PGC6000, Thanks for the advice. I might just use the CD to save disk space.

Just updated to 1.5.1. Saw no difference in speed/quality of game for my PB, but there are TONS of servers!!

Which one do you mac people choose? The ones with ping <300? Or the one with 16 players!

During a game, someone typed, "Whose using a mac?" I replied back "What's wrong w/ macs?" After that, I became the target. Even my teammates hunted me down! Guess I learned my lesson.
:(

pgc6000
Jan 20, 2005, 06:25 PM

Just updated to 1.5.1. Saw no difference in speed/quality of game for my PB, but there are TONS of servers!!

Which one do you mac people choose? The ones with ping <300? Or the one with 16 players!

During a game, someone typed, "Whose using a mac?" I replied back "What's wrong w/ macs?" After that, I became the target. Even my teammates hunted me down! Guess I learned my lesson.
Remember that most people use PCs, and they can be stupid jerks. Mac users are special.

applemacdude
Jan 20, 2005, 06:33 PM
pm or im me for a crack of halo so so images are needed

applekid
Jan 20, 2005, 08:04 PM

Well, you really want low-ping with Halo. It's not very high ping-tolerant. But, remember the ping you're saying is for that moment. So, it doesn't hurt for one more refresh, IMO. Personally, I like to go to games with high numbers of players, and often those servers are usually low-ping, high speed, and powerful enough to host large games anyway.

I'm a little surprised by what happened in the game you described, but, hey jerks will be jerks. And it's only a game, don't worry about it too much. I often run into Mac users, so I haven't had bad experiences. Also, I tout my iMacGod screenname, yet nobody has bothered me. Maybe the PC users fear the iMacGod. :rolleyes: