PDA

View Full Version : X Plane Version 8 Advise

Reuven
Jan 17, 2005, 03:52 PM
I am looking to get X Plane latest version but would it work ok on my PB laptop with just the keyboard or do I need to go out and get the full gear (joystick etc...)

yippy
Jan 17, 2005, 04:19 PM
You don't NEED a joystick, however, I would highly recomend one because it is almost unplayable without one. You don't need to spend a lot, almost any USB joystick will work in X-Plane without drivers, even if it is not Mac supported.

I have a Saitek Cyborge Evo, MS Sidewinder should work, if you want high end CH has it all and is promoted by the makers of X-Plane. The important thing is that in OS X it needs to be USB.

Reuven
Jan 17, 2005, 04:45 PM
You don't NEED a joystick, however, I would highly recomend one because it is almost unplayable without one. You don't need to spend a lot, almost any USB joystick will work in X-Plane without drivers, even if it is not Mac supported.

I have a Saitek Cyborge Evo, MS Sidewinder should work, if you want high end CH has it all and is promoted by the makers of X-Plane. The important thing is that in OS X it needs to be USB.

Thanks for the tip :)

Do you run X-Plane on your PB if so how does it run ?

yippy
Jan 17, 2005, 04:52 PM
Yes I do, for me it runs quite well. With version 7 scenery and meduim settings I have hit 60fps but usualy get more like 40. In version 8 scenery in cities it drops to around 20 but still runs smooth. I get a pause everyonce in a while when going fast and high when I think it is loading the next section of scenery, but after a moment it goes away and it is smooth sailing again.

Mechcozmo
Jan 17, 2005, 05:40 PM
You can also just play with the auto pilot. My plane once did what it was supposed to... aimed for whatever airport I set it to and crashed into the control tower.

But it ran pretty decently, version 6 at least, on my iMac G4 with 32MB of VRAM.