PDA

View Full Version : Owners of original 23" HD Cinema Display: please help!

Mojo_LA
Jan 17, 2005, 05:18 PM
I just picked up a 23" CD (original lucite version) and am very dismayed at the image quality. When a big, bright picture is displayed, yes, it looks great... but on darker material the limitations of the LCD seem to be revealing themselves.

Cheaper LCD panels have a very hard time displaying blacks. Not just pure black level (I know LCDs can't do that) but poor ones display MUCH fogging and color shifting when you move off angle even a little.

My CD exhibits this kind of color fogging and shifting when I shift from side to side or up and down, even just a few degrees.

Like I said, I know older LCDs would do this, but I could swear I remember from observations is shops that the Cinema Displays did not have this problem (for example, the new ones don't).

When I display an all-black image, you can quite easily see patchy bits of color and lights all over.. some sublte, some not so subtle (but you don't notice it on a regular image).

Also, I am using this with a PC and Apple's DVI/ADC converter.

Can other owners of this display confirm or deny that this is an issue?

Thanks!

TyleRomeo
Jan 17, 2005, 05:31 PM
I just picked up a 23" CD (original lucite version) and am very dismayed at the image quality. When a big, bright picture is displayed, yes, it looks great... but on darker material the limitations of the LCD seem to be revealing themselves.

Cheaper LCD panels have a very hard time displaying blacks. Not just pure black level (I know LCDs can't do that) but poor ones display MUCH fogging and color shifting when you move off angle even a little.

My CD exhibits this kind of color fogging and shifting when I shift from side to side or up and down, even just a few degrees.

Like I said, I know older LCDs would do this, but I could swear I remember from observations is shops that the Cinema Displays did not have this problem (for example, the new ones don't).

When I display an all-black image, you can quite easily see patchy bits of color and lights all over.. some sublte, some not so subtle (but you don't notice it on a regular image).

Also, I am using this with a PC and Apple's DVI/ADC converter.

Thanks!

hmm.. interesting the 23inch HD cinema has a 350:1 contrast ratio i believe. the new ones (DVI) have a 400:1. Im not sure about the issue since i don't have my 23 HD ADC cinema just yet. I wouldn't thinkt the converter has anything to with it either since both singals are digital.

Tyler

thecow
Jan 17, 2005, 07:01 PM
I have the 22 inch one and it kinda does that too. You can't see it unless you have a very large black image. The only reason I noticed it was because I have a few games with loading screens are mostly black. Just ignore it.

Jaffa Cake
Jan 17, 2005, 07:22 PM

I've had a bit of a play with my LCD (also one of the original 23" LCDs) to try and replicate what you're describing, but it looks fine to me and I can't say I've had any issues with it in the past. When I first got my display, I calibrated it to try and give as good an image and colour rep as possible, which may be why mine looks in order to me although given the state of my eyes that isn't saying much!

Maybe a play around with the settings is in order hopefully you've not got a dodgy display...

TyleRomeo
Jan 17, 2005, 11:07 PM
I have the 22 inch one and it kinda does that too. You can't see it unless you have a very large black image. The only reason I noticed it was because I have a few games with loading screens are mostly black. Just ignore it.

well the 22 inch i think came out way before the 23 inch. the 23 inch premiered at MWJ spring 2003. at 1920x1200 while the 22 inch is 1600x1024 and there is the original DVI and then the ADC version of it but both apear to have been out at least a year before the 23 inch. Only the 20 inch ADC display could have better performance and specs than the 23inch when counting the ADC apple monitor line.

Tyler