Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mark28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
How good is TF2 and Portal? :p

Or should I just skip it. I mostly play CSS & zombiemod most of the time.

Any more games that are good that run on OS X natively with good performance.

I got a i5 MBP if that matters :)

Scooby_Doo

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2005
Chicago
Half-Life 2 is regarded as one of the best games of all time.

Portal is regarded as one of the most innovative games of the past decade.

Team Fortress 2 was well received (after some patching) and still played by many.

So yes, I think this would be worth it for $15...

mark28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Half-Life 2 is regarded as one of the best games of all time.

Portal is regarded as one of the most innovative games of the past decade.

Team Fortress 2 was well received (after some patching) and still played by many.

So yes, I think this would be worth it for $15...

I already have HL2 and Counterstrike Source.

Is team fortress 2 good and Portal too?

yanr

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2008
Team Fortress 2 was great when I first got it (about a year and half ago, circa the heavy update) but I just haven't had the time to play it much recently. There have been many updates since then, and it appears that they add a lot to the game. There are still lots of people that play.

Portal is a short game, but a lot of fun. If you can pick it up cheaply, it's worth it as well.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
TF2 is worth $15 alone (hell after all the time I've put into it I'd still pay £15). One of the absolute best multiplayer games of all time that. Preordered it so I could play the beta a week before launch. 3 years later and I'm still playing it for around an hour a night (more on weekends). The servers are still full. I have trouble getting into them simply because they keep it constantly fresh (it's the current 8th most played game on Steam at this very moment).

I cannot emphasis how good this game is. They're constantly updating it with new maps, modes, weapons (even weapons that create sub-class players). It's brilliant. And you get the Portal and HL2 episodes 1 and 2...

If you don't buy it I will digitally give you a bloody nose.

Alaerian

Jan 6, 2005
A barstool, Innis & Gunn in hand
The good thing about the Orange Box is that you can gift duplicates of what you already have. You said that you have HL:2. You should (theoretically) be able to gift the copy in the Orange Box to another of your Steam friends. It's generally like that with all Valve games/bundles.

As far as its worth, 3 words should sum it up:
YES.
YES.
YES.

I've replayed Portal over 2 dozen times now. It's STILL fun every time, no matter how fast I do it.
Half Life 2 is by far the best game I have EVER played. If your computer can handle it, check out FakeFactory's Cinematic Mod v10. If you google just that, you should be able to find it along with a torrent link. Beware, it's about 10gb. However, everything is retextured, reskinned, and they have included new cinematic music. It's absolutely stunning.
Team Fortress 2 is by far the most fun FPS I've ever played. The graphical style is so different, and the game itself is so quirky ... it's impossible not to enjoy it.

santaliqueur

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Is the Cinematic Mod Windows only? Looks like it. But thanks for the recommendation, it looks really cool. Perhaps if I ever create a Boot Camp partition, I will try it.

iMacN00b

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2010
Is the Cinematic Mod Windows only? Looks like it. But thanks for the recommendation, it looks really cool. Perhaps if I ever create a Boot Camp partition, I will try it.

If you want to see it running On a mac, i have uploaded a few videos of the latest fakefactory mod, in my signature link.

Totally stunning Work, and well worth the effort of bootcamp.

I think it looks and plays better than most of the games released in 2010.

santaliqueur

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
I bought it at $30 and still consider it a great value. $15 is a fantastic deal. $7.50 is just stealing it.

DiamondGCoupe

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2007
TF2 is an amazing multiplayer game, it never gets old. Loved it since the original, $15 is an excellent price.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
I saw the title and ran in to mention the $7.50 sale and was glad others already had ... there has been little progression in shooters since HL2 (the modern warfare stuff is regression IMO), so you are *still* getting the pinnacle of the genre 6 years later.

iMacN00b

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2010
I saw the title and ran in to mention the $7.50 sale and was glad others already had ... there has been little progression in shooters since HL2 (the modern warfare stuff is regression IMO), so you are *still* getting the pinnacle of the genre 6 years later.

Agreed, and if you use "Fake Factory" the visuals and sound are also upgraded to 2010 levels. So you not only get the best playing FPS every created, but it stands shoulder to shoulder with the best looking games today!

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
NOOO!!! I just missed it. I read this forum a few hours ago, went straight to steam and it had it for still 7.50 and went to purchase it but as soon as I put it in my cart it showed 29.99. I must have just missed it by minutes! Does anyone know how often it goes on sale? I really don't want to pay 30, but 15, I'd do that. 7.50 was an absolute steal, stinks I missed it.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I paid $50 for it when it first came out. Worth it.

One of very few games I paid full retail.

TF2 is great just by itself. No monthly fees, and many free feature updates.

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
NOOO!!! I just missed it. I read this forum a few hours ago, went straight to steam and it had it for still 7.50 and went to purchase it but as soon as I put it in my cart it showed 29.99. I must have just missed it by minutes! Does anyone know how often it goes on sale? I really don't want to pay 30, but 15, I'd do that. 7.50 was an absolute steal, stinks I missed it.

$30 is still a great deal. But wait until Christmas, they have a big sale at the end of December.

wywern209

macrumors 65832
Sep 7, 2008
do you rly want to know?
$30 is still a great deal. But wait until Christmas, they have a big sale at the end of December.

what does it go for at the end of December? 7.50 like it was a couple days back? I'm biting myself cuz i didn't snag when it was 7.50. I didn't even know. I almost hit the buy button but if it is going to come down in price again VERY soon, then might as well wait.

DiamondGCoupe

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2007
There aren't sales too often on Valve games unless there is a huge update/free weekend promo. That usually happened every 2-3 months. But I'd expect it to be discounted once again before the new year. I realize it's twice as much but easily worth it. You spend $15 to see one movie, it's over in 90 minutes. You'll be playing these games for 90+ hours for years to come.

penter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2006
yup. i got mine for 29, and thought i barely play it, i still think it was a great deal! mind, you, i'm not swimming in cash. just a college student, living off loans and work-study.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.