PDA

View Full Version : Powermac G5 18 DP Worth getting?

SimonUK5
Nov 27, 2010, 07:40 AM
Hello!

My windows PC had given the game up! And i've been using my Little iBook G3 for the last few days! I've always wanted a good mac, and now my Windows box has died, it looks like i may be able to get one!

I can't afford a new Intel Mac, i wish i could but i cant right now. But i can get a PowerMac G5 for around 240 GPB :)

Its a Dual 1.8Ghz one :) Is it worth getting to replace my Windows box? All i used my windows PC for was, WebBrowsing/Email, iTunes(And my ipod ect),watch DVD TV Rips thats arn't HD! or if they were it would be 720p, and Using Adobe LightRoom!

Can the G5 Do all of this?? I'm more than happy to max its RAM and stuff :)

Cheers !

Simon

Blue Velvet
Nov 27, 2010, 08:21 AM
You could get by with it for a couple of years, perhaps. You'll certainly find it a step up from a G3 iBook. However, the last version of Lightroom that will run on it is Lightroom 2. Put 4Gb of RAM in there, install Leopard and maybe upgrade the hard drive(s)... if it was me, I'd also ditch the old standard keyboard and get one of the new aluminium keyboards from Apple.

Have you got a display for it?

occams razor
Nov 27, 2010, 08:24 AM
My g4 quicksilver 733 does all that except lightroom (don't know what that is) just as fast and good as my dual core 64bit laptop so you will be fine. You may even be able to find a used Mac mini or iMac that's intel for the same price. Hit up craigslist if they have a great britan section. Oh and god save the queen!

SimonUK5
Nov 27, 2010, 08:30 AM
You could get by with it for a couple of years, perhaps. You'll certainly find it a step up from a G3 iBook. However, the last version of Lightroom that will run on it is Lightroom 2. Put 4Gb of RAM in there, install Leopard and maybe upgrade the hard drive(s)... if it was me, I'd also ditch the old standard keyboard and get one of the new aluminium keyboards from Apple.

Have you got a display for it?

yeah yeah I've got a display :) I was already using the new Alu keyboard on my PC :) So so good :) I think i might pick it up then! I mean i can get by with a mixture of Lightroom and Photoshop for my images :) i mainly use lightroom to store them all :) And i shoot in RAW so that just makes it a little bit more work :)

Looks like i'm gunna try and sell up and try get it then!

DrakkenWar
Dec 3, 2010, 12:58 AM
I would say, take it! I am still pluggin along here on my dual G4/533 with 10.3.9 and with only a few hang ups! Cannot wait to get my MDD dual/800! W00T to the upgrade to 10.4.11. It is all about your expectation of what you want from your computers and what you want to do with them.

~Nathan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When you are Sierra-Oscar-Lima. I am, as always, Hotel-Tango-Hotel
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VanneDC
Dec 4, 2010, 05:01 PM
thats a lot of do$h for a dual 1.8.. if you can see if you can get the dual 2.3-2.5G5's, they will take twice the ram as they have 8 slots.

oh and also, if you have an old pc mobo (agp) lying around, you can flash a ATI 800xt to use with that mac. will make photoshop and anything else GPU much, much faster. and you will want Leopard on it..

that said, i had a dual 1.8G5 for about 6 months and it was fine. :)

pls DO be aware that you cant run any of the intel software..

Cox Orange
Dec 4, 2010, 11:10 PM
The 2x 2,3GHz model (as well as the 2x 2GHz) came in two different versions.

Early 2005 with AGP graphics and max. 8GB RAM
Late 2005 with PCI-x graphics card and a max. of 16GB RAM that can be put in there.

Beware that for the 2x2,0GHz there were even 4 Generations!

Why not go to everymac.com and there go to the comparison page. There you can also compare benchmarks, if you would like to, (though some would behave different id some scenarios).
You can also click on the specs etc., see the upgrade options.
You see prices there, too (though they are often higher than on Ebay).

I would take both Intel and PowerPC Macs in consideration.

If you want to know, what you can get for 240 bucks, why not type "apple" in Ebay's search. Select "auctions ended" and choose (from the left) the price range that you want to look for (and don't forget to sort the results from lowest price to highest). Just to get a feel for it.