Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JI7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2008
I am using a Mac Pro 1.1 running OSX 10.5.8. I installed Windows on a partitioned second hard drive. Everything was going peachy for me when installing Windows 7 Home Premium until Windows needed to restart - this was after installation and before Windows had completed setup. It restarted the computer, I got the black screen with the Windows logo and text indicating that it was starting. Next thing it did was flicker a blue screen with white text for a split second and restart again. Then I got the same Windows starting screen followed by a black page with white text indicating that Windows did not shutdown properly. I had 3 options to start Windows in safe modes and another option to start Windows normally. I tried the start normally mode as it was the defaulted selection and got stuck in the same loop again. I also tried the safe modes and got a message indicating that setup could not be finished in that mode. So I have a partitioned hard drive with Windows installed but it won't start up so that setup can finish. Any help please as I was counting on this to used college critical software.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I am using a Mac Pro 1.1 running OSX 10.5.8.

You will need a Snow Leopard disc ($29 from Apple) to finish the install (Only Boot Camp 3.x in 10.6 provides drivers for W7).

I presume this is W7HP 32-bit since getting 64 bit installed is unsupported and tricky on the Mac Pro 1,1. If it is 64 bit, check one of the many threads on getting W764 installed on a MP1,1.

B

JI7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2008
Thanks for that. I actually just ordered Snow Leopard before coming here and finding your reply. Yes, it is the 32 bit software. Thanks again and lets hope for smooth sailing as soon as I have Snow Leopard installed.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Thanks for that. I actually just ordered Snow Leopard before coming here and finding your reply. Yes, it is the 32 bit software. Thanks again and lets hope for smooth sailing as soon as I have Snow Leopard installed.

It shouldn't actually make a difference up to this point. You only really need it once W7 is installed and you go to install the drivers.

A couple of quick questions that may help diagnose the problem further should it persist when you get SL.

Were you installing from a burned DVD (e.g. a student/MSDNAA/TechNet download) or a pressed retail/OEM disc?

Which video card are you using. Is it a stock card or have you upgraded...

B

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
I'm having the same problem. Just got my 21.5" i3 iMac today and after windows 7 reboots for the first time during the nstallation process, it seems to hand with just a black screen. I tried booting into safe mode, but it says i'm not allowed to boot into safe mode until after the installation process is complete. HELP!

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I'm having the same problem. Just got my 21.5" i3 iMac today and after windows 7 reboots for the first time during the nstallation process, it seems to hand with just a black screen. I tried booting into safe mode, but it says i'm not allowed to boot into safe mode until after the installation process is complete. HELP!

Can either/both of you try a logged boot instead (can be selected at the same place where safe mode is chosen).

B

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
SOLVED! I found this after a bunch of google searches: http://klauskjeldsen.dk/boot-camp-imac-error-fix-black-screen/

Solution (step by step from the beginning):

1. Run Boot Camp Assistant from Mac OS X Snow Leopard (Applications -> Utilities)
2. Create a partition for the Windows installation using Boot Camp Assistant
3. Plugin your install disc and install Windows 7
4. The system will reboot a couple of times during the installation
5. The problem: The second time the system reboots, you the see the Windows red-green-blue-yellow animated logo, and then the screen goes black and hangs infinitely.
6. Press and hold the power button on your iMac until it shuts down.
7. Start the iMac again holding “alt” key, so you can select and load Max OS X Snow Leopard again.
8. Run any application that let you work with NTFS partitions (e.g. Paragon NTFS for Mac OS X or MacFuse)
9. Find the file “C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ATIKMDAG.SYS” on your BOOTCAMP partition, and simply delete it.
10. Restart you iMac, and boot up Windows 7
11. Now Windows 7 should boot normally
12. Run update windows utility and install Boot Camp drivers from the Mac OS X install disc

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
8. Run any application that let you work with NTFS partitions (e.g. Paragon NTFS for Mac OS X or MacFuse)
VMWare Fusion/Parallels/VirtualBox would also fall under this category.

This may or may not solve the OP's problem since they are on very different hardware.

B

JI7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2008
Yes I am using a copy bought through a retailer - not a student version or anything. My graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT and it is the stock card. As for the solution posed by dmk1974, I don't think I have any application such as those mentioned in step 8. In any case, I don't think his problem and mine are identical - he mentions a black screen 'hanging' indefinitely whereas my problem is that I seem to get stuck in a loop where Windows restarts after installation and tries to start up but then gives me the message that Windows wasn't shut down properly. If I select start windows normally it just repeats the whole restart, wasn't restarted properly nonsense. If I select any of the 3 safe mode options it tells me that Windows can't finish setup in this mode. As for the logged boot option, I haven't seen this option available on my screen. My Windows partition is 350 Gb, is this too large? Should I make a smaller partition? Also, I have tried swapping the hard drives so that the drive with the Windows partition is in drive bay 1 and this made no difference. I have also gone to the trouble of disconnecting everything from my Mac with exception to the necessary mouse, keyboard and monitor - again no effect. I read somewhere that removing RAM may solve certain problems. Is this a possibility? Anyway, SL may not be the fix I was hoping for since I never get a chance to install the drivers because Windows won't start up following install.

JI7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2008
I was thinking about setting up my camcorder and taping the install so that it was clearer what the problem is but I have no idea how I would be able to show it since I don't see a way to attach a video to a post. If anyone can suggest a method of putting the video online to view then let me know. I thought about youtube but don't know if I want to do that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.