PDA

View Full Version : GeForce 4 Ti Fan Rattling Problem

Haberdasher
Jan 17, 2005, 08:58 PM
Hi,

My GeForce 4 Ti card, which I placed in my Mac after I bought it about a couple years ago, has been generating odd noises over the past couple of months. At first I thought it was simply a hard drive that maybe was jostled and was rattling the case, but after opening the computer up, I can clearly see the GeForce 4 Ti card's fan struggling to rotate at its usual speed.

Now, the computer doesn't seem to be overheating just yet...no graphical anomalies, I give it a rest if I hear it catching particularly badly, and I'm in a room that isn't too hot. However, I'm worried about the card's long term health.

My question— should I try to reseat the fan? Is it an issue of dust, or do I need to get a whole new fan-unit? I have some compressed air, but I didn't know if that would do the trick.

Please post suggestions other than simply "clean it," since I am fairly sure this is not a dust problem (not that I won't rule it out.)

Thanks in advance.

brap
Jan 17, 2005, 09:04 PM
Please post suggestions other than simply "clean it," since I am fairly sure this is not a dust problem (not that I won't rule it out.)
I have a GF4 4200 in my PC, it's ages old now. After about a year, the fan started to make strange noises... it seemed as if the motor was spinning, and not propelling the fan properly hence causing the two to grind and rub and... ugg.

Long story short, I got a ThermalTake Heatsink replacement unit, and slapped that on. It's pure copper, so when the Tt fan died (about another year down the road), I didn't bother replacing the fan. It's been running passive, with just the airflow of my case, for about ... thinks ... 8 months?

My Ti runs even the newest PC games well enough for me - 1024, 32bit colour, they're great cards. Just whack on a new heatsink and it'll give you a good while longer.

Haberdasher
Jan 17, 2005, 09:10 PM
I have a GF4 4200 in my PC, it's ages old now. After about a year, the fan started to make strange noises... it seemed as if the motor was spinning, and not propelling the fan properly hence causing the two to grind and rub and... ugg.

Long story short, I got a ThermalTake Heatsink replacement unit, and slapped that on. It's pure copper, so when the Tt fan died (about another year down the road), I didn't bother replacing the fan. It's been running passive, with just the airflow of my case, for about ... thinks ... 8 months?

My Ti runs even the newest PC games well enough for me - 1024, 32bit colour, they're great cards. Just whack on a new heatsink and it'll give you a good while longer.

I'm thinking of hopping down to my local PC store to buy one...any reccomendations of a good heatsink for my card in particular? While I trust the guys at this place (it's where I bought my PC,) I'd rather not be charged a hefty service fee or whatever they choose to do.

Also, if the heat sink is adequate, how can I disable the fan?

Thanks a TON for your help! :D

brap
Jan 17, 2005, 09:22 PM
...any reccomendations of a good heatsink for my card in particular?I'm afraid I don't know where to get hold of them - I got a Thermaltake replacement HSF from aria.co.uk - but they don't stock them anymore. Basically, all you need is something which is specified to be designed for the Geforce 4 Ti series. Zalman, Coolermaster and Thermaltake are brands to watch for.
It was a simple enough job of removing the old heatsink via some plastic clips, cleaning the surface area with white spirit, applying some Arctic Silver compound (instead of the crappy goop you get with these things) and attaching the new one. Arctic silver == great.
While I trust the guys at this place (it's where I bought my PC,) I'd rather not be charged a hefty service fee or whatever they choose to do.

Also, if the heat sink is adequate, how can I disable the fan?
Well... hehe, maybe you should see how it plays out first. If the fan is deafening, unplug the fan power cord and see how long it takes to burn you when you touch it ;) It's not a recommended action by any means, I'm surprised mine is still alive - it was more necessity than choice!

Haberdasher
Jan 17, 2005, 09:56 PM
Well... hehe, maybe you should see how it plays out first. If the fan is deafening, unplug the fan power cord and see how long it takes to burn you when you touch it ;) It's not a recommended action by any means, I'm surprised mine is still alive - it was more necessity than choice!

You're talking to someone who has a "Wind-tunnel" G4...with this thing rattling as well I almost go crazy. I've grounded myself and poked my card's fan so many times it's not even funny...constantly opening and closing the case is a real pain, and not hearing this thing rattle would be a dream.

So is there no way to just replace the fan, if all the heatsink does is help a struggling fan cool the card?