PDA

View Full Version : Crashed HD, any way to recover?

boxcar
Jan 17, 2005, 09:14 PM
Hi there!
So, i'm not sure how but my hard drive has ceased functioning. I've put a new HD into my mac (g4 dual 1.25 MDD) and reinstalled os 10.2.8. Everything is back up and running, but i'd like to reclaim some of my old files from the HD. I've installed the original mac hd into the rear bay, thinking i could simply pull the files i need from it and trash the rest. For some reason the HD won't mount. I've run a verify and repair on it, and am told that this HD does have some errors and cannot be repaired. Does anyone have any ideas, prior to recovery services, which i can try to get the files i need from my original HD?

Thank you so much for any help you can offer!

diamond geezer
Jan 17, 2005, 10:02 PM
Data Rescue X is the best app for recovering data, IMHO.

hsilver
Jan 17, 2005, 11:20 PM
When you installed the crashed drive did you reset the pins in front to slave position? If it were the main drive before, the pins would be in the master position.

BTW, I had read that it is illegal to use this language in California -master and slave in reference to computers.

The other program to restore drives that everyone I know swears by is Disk Warrior.

Good Luck

Howard

Mechcozmo
Jan 17, 2005, 11:33 PM
BTW, I had read that it is illegal to use this language in California -master and slave in reference to computers.

The other program to restore drives that everyone I know swears by is Disk Warrior.

Just in L.A. and I don't really think they care that much.

If it was a physical crash, then not much to do. Drive Savers is good, but expensive.
If it was a software crash, then Disk Warrior.

blackfox
Jan 17, 2005, 11:49 PM
Strictly anecedotal (read: at your own risk):

I have found that putting a drive in the freezer for 30 min/hr has enabled me to coax enough life out of a failing HD to usually extract most important files.

I have done this three times, with success between 40-100% depending.

good last resort.

boxcar
Jan 18, 2005, 12:04 AM
I don't think it was a hardware crash. A few programs crashed, then finder froze (spinning color wheel) So i rebooted, and she never came back on (gray screen, wouldn't boot the OS)

I ran the hardware diagnostics cd, it reported that everything was fine. However, Disk Utility reported an unfixable error.

So i imagine it's a software crash of some sort. But I really have no idea.
Thank you all so much for the info/advice!!

beatle888
Jan 18, 2005, 12:06 AM
Strictly anecedotal (read: at your own risk):

I have found that putting a drive in the freezer for 30 min/hr has enabled me to coax enough life out of a failing HD to usually extract most important files.

I have done this three times, with success between 40-100% depending.

good last resort.

ive tried that and it didn't work.

jelloshotsrule
Jan 18, 2005, 02:46 PM
i had a problem where i lost a drive a couple months ago. it showed up in disk util, etc, but i couldn't access it at all. and couldn't fix it with any standard issue disk utils that come wth the os. so i got diskwarrior and it worked well. 99 bucks and worth it if it's valuable info you could otherwise lose...

i also invested in a backup drive. :)

maya
Jan 18, 2005, 02:55 PM
Data Rescue X is the best app for recovering data, IMHO.

I 2nd this opinion. :)