Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

McNewbie

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2006
Just want to bump this thread. None of the Australian resellers have the "Flip" so I'd like to get some info if it'll fit most docks etc. before making an International purchase.

physicsguy13

Contributor
Oct 5, 2010
Huntiingon Beach, CA
I have two of them and I like them better than the original candyshell that I have also. The one problem is that the flip part that allows you to dock the phone can sometimes start to flip off of the phone while it is in your pocket.

The scratching issue is a problem with this version of the candyshell as it has been with the original one.

rapaleeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
I have two of them and I like them better than the original candyshell that I have also. The one problem is that the flip part that allows you to dock the phone can sometimes start to flip off of the phone while it is in your pocket.

The scratching issue is a problem with this version of the candyshell as it has been with the original one.

This is part of the reason I am not a fan of the flip. The actual flip portion isn't tight enough.

I am the biggest fan of the standard Candyshell since it is a truly protective case that basically seals the iPhone inside of it. Zero dust or dirt gets in there once the phone is installed and the actaul phone is protected against everything but water.

The flip really destroys the integrity and the overall protection suffers. I pulled my phone out after 2 days of use of the flip that I was sent and there was dirt and dust all over the inside. If I didn't have a screen protector on the back the rear of my phone would have been scratched up.

While I like that it docks (part of the reason I requested it), due to the gap and the overall loose fitting of the bottom portion I can't recommend it if you are looking for a protective case. This saddens me since like I said, I am a huge Candyshell fanboy and really wanted a Candyshell that would allow me to dock my phone on my stereo. The one good thing is that drop protection didn't seem compromised at all as I did drop my phone onto the sidewalk (pure accident) and other a couple scratches, the case case and phone were still intact.

As for the standard Candyshell, even lacking the flip feature it is still my favorite overall case. The flaking (which goes away after a day of normal use) and the scratching (which is bad on the black version but not noticable on the white) is completely tolerable to me since the case is lightweight, keeps the sleek lines of the iPhone 4, and offers drop protection only bested by the Otterbox Defender.

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2007
I don't think the bottom is loose at all. Certainly didn't come off while in my pocket. Perhaps after extended wear, but seems just right to me.

rapaleeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
I don't think the bottom is loose at all. Certainly didn't come off while in my pocket. Perhaps after extended wear, but seems just right to me.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a terrible case at all. I'm just comparing it to the original.

As for the bottom, mine was and still is slightly loose, meaning it wasn't a tight fit. It didn't come loose pulling it out of my pocket, but it did stick a couple of times going in.

There was and is, even in the video review in the first post, a slight gap between the two pieces (which will obviously be there since it does flip). This is what let in the pieces of dust and lint. Not as bad as a silicone case but it did allow stuff to enter and it would have marked up the back if it weren't for my rear shield.

When compared to the original, it doesn't cut it for me for that one issue alone. Same way I refuse to use the Incase Slider as it has the potential to damage the phone it is trying to protect.

It just isn't as snug of a fit in the case as I would like, especially at the 34.99 price. Compared to the 10-15 that a standard candyshell costs now (amazon has them) I can't recommend the flip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.