Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Windows sucks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2010
Ok, I have an I pad and I fell in love with apple, but I don't have enough money to get a new MacBook, so is the iBook g4 still a good computer, like for school? Because I am in high school and I need a good computer, I heard that the iBook g4 can do just as good as a 2008 windows computer, so is it still a good computer for school or for facebook chatting and stuff,
Thank you,
Chase

Nov 6, 2010
Dude

Chase, you are my brother, and I told you that once I get my mac mini you can have my black macbook, please don't be stupid... Lol

Last edited by a moderator:

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
I got a top of the line iBook G4 1.33GHz when it was only a year or two old, in the eighth grade. You will likely become very attached to it while simultaneously becoming sick of its many limitations.

If I were you, I'd take that black MacBook and run. :)

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
Chase, you are my brother, and I told you that once I get my mac mini you can have my black macbook, please don't be stupid... Lol

That was a pretty interesting first reply. :p If he doesn't want that BlackBook, and he'd rather have an iBook, I'll certainly take it off his hands - or we can trade. :D

Seriously though, agreed with the above. I love my iBook, and I have an aluminum unibody MacBook in the mail. My iBook is going to stay in my immediate family - I have no plans to get rid of it. It was my introduction to the Apple world, it's where I did the majority of all my college work, and it's the main computer I use today. It's been great to me, and I have had no issues - as long as I don't try to game or watch online video. :)

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
Why is this? I just set my friend up with a G4, and her daughter is a Facebook addict.

Those games are all Flash-based, and graphics-intensive. To put it lightly and literally, some of those Flash games are unbearable on my iBook G4. Facebook itself works just fine, as does most Internet browsing, but games and online video... they'll work, but not too hot.

iFool

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2008
It would be just about Okay for HTML based browsing, don't be stupid, a 2008 windows PC would stomp all over it, But then again , your name is "Windows sucks"

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
My sister was using my old iBook G4 up until a couple of months ago. It was a nice computer back in the day, but she really noticed its limitations in the past year or so. She upgraded to another laptop a couple of months ago.

I'd go with the black MB.

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
My sister was using my old iBook G4 up until a couple of months ago. It was a nice computer back in the day, but she really noticed its limitations in the past year or so. She upgraded to another laptop a couple of months ago.

I'd go with the black MB.

Same here. I recently got the MacBook in my sig, because, after all this time of loving my iBook, it was finally time to face its limitations. However, it is still a 95% functioning machine! (The microphone seems to have died.)

So, it's going into retirement as my mother's browser machine / better-than-a-netbook laptop. I wiped it, put just my settings and essential applications on it, recovered almost 20gb of the 40gb hard drive, and it's ready to go.

Funny thing is, we made a bet that the iBook will long outlive the MacBook. :p You know what, I wouldn't bet against that either.

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
Only get a iBook G4 if you want to play with random shutdowns and clamps. You're better off with a first gen Macbook or MBP.

9-21-07-ibook-clamp.jpg

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
Only get a iBook G4 if you want to play with random shutdowns and clamps. You're better off with a first gen Macbook or MBP.

That's absurd. Those problems were huge in the iBook G3s. I don't know if you've ever owned a G4, but searching that issue on the G4s doesn't bring up anything big in the least.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
That's absurd. Those problems were huge in the iBook G3s. I don't know if you've ever owned a G4, but searching that issue on the G4s doesn't bring up anything big in the least.

Agreed. I never had any of those problems, and I don't remember seeing anything about that when the iBook line was current.

FTR, I didn't have any of those problems with my G3 either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.