Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Windows sucks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2010
Ok, I'm in my freshman year in high school and I need a good computer, is the iBook g4 still a good computer for school or is tooooooo tooooooo out of date? Like can I still IM on facebook and stuff? The reason I am looking for an iBook g4 is because I'm a teen so I can't afford a newer Mac. So is it still a good computer?

captkirkmtl

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2010
The iBook g4 is very old. It will lag a bit while web browsing, since its g4 CPU is aging a bit and finds it very hard to process Flash or any other heavy-weight web-based media.

I think you should save up and buy a intel based macbook. Its well worth it. The g4 is simply too slow for 360p or HD videos, which you might watch on youtube. You will be disappointed in that respect.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
My wife uses a 5 year old iBook G4 with 1.25gb ram for web browsing and facebook and e-mail via wi-fi. It works well, but you have to be patient. They can be bought cheap, and if you drop it or lose it then it's no great loss. Flash is a bit slow, but it gets the job done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.