PDA

View Full Version : Tucano Finatex XS: Slimmest/smallest carrying case for the 11.6" MacBook Air!

BeyondtheTech
Nov 27, 2010, 11:12 PM
Sleeves and cases are nice, but they usually have no strap, or they can't carry the power adapter and other necessities, or they've got some other major flaw or omission that force me to pass up on it.

I had an iPad 16GB that I traded off for a MacBook, to which I sold that off and paid the difference for an Air. The case I bought for the iPad was the Tucano Finatex XS, and it worked beautifully.

Who knew that the same case would work just as well for the 11.6" Air?

http://www.tucanousa.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BFITXS

The case provides decent padding and extra pockets to hold an iPhone, the AC adapter, a portable hard drive, and even my Wacom Bamboo tablet, and still manages to be under 2.5" thick.

My favorite part is the the sling strap that houses my wired headphones. When it carried my iPad, I realized the headphone jack routed into the outer pocket, not the main sleeve where the iPad was sheathed. So, I picked up a pack of grommets at Home Depot and hammered in a few clean holes (albeit bronze-colored, that's all I could find on short notice) and was able to route it either out of the case entirely, or into the main sleeve.

If you don't have a tablet, you can substitute it for a firm piece of plastic or presswood, like from a clipboard, or even cardboard, so as to provide an extra layer of protection for the screen and prevent any warping of the Air.

At only $35 from Tucano's site or J&R where I bought mine, it serves its purposes as the smallest case I could find for the Air.

UPDATE: J&R is selling the coffee-colored one for $25 and the red one for $31.

http://www.jr.com/product/productListing.jsp?Ntt=finatex

I hope this helps someone looking for a perfect case that's small and not intrusive. I found myself carrying my iPad and now my Air practically anywhere.

(not affiliated with product or companies mentioned.)

dmelgar
Nov 30, 2010, 08:45 PM
Is the strap removable?

BeyondtheTech
Nov 30, 2010, 09:18 PM
No, it's part of the bag.

rebby
Nov 30, 2010, 11:17 PM
Perfect. Exactly what I've been looking for. Thanks for pointing this one out.

dmelgar
Nov 30, 2010, 11:21 PM
No, it's part of the bag.

Is the strap small enough that it can be folded up or stuff in a pocket for times when you don't want to use it and want to use the case as a simple sleeve?

I've been planning to get a sleeve to use in a backpack, but like the idea of having the option to just carry it around without the backpack. Ideally could support both without being too bulky.

BeyondtheTech
Nov 30, 2010, 11:36 PM
I suppose you can stuff it into the pocket like this and close the zipper as close as you can, so as to not let anything else slip out. Honestly, the strap has never been intrusive, I've held it with the case without issue.

dmelgar
Dec 5, 2010, 12:36 PM
I was all ready to order it, when I saw a confusing discrepancy in the description.

For the same named case, it sometimes lists it as holding up to a 11.6 and sometimes up to 10". The sizes of the bags are different. The charcoal one listed above at J&R says its for a 10". Even its outside dimension is shorter than the 11.6" MBA so there's no way it could possibly fit in there.

So then I thought it was a color thing. The red and charcoal one seem to be 10". On the Tucano website it says the black is for 11.6". But then I saw other references on the web for a black case that holds only up to 10".

So whats the deal? Did Tucano change the size without changing the name? Is there a subtle difference in the name I'm not catching?

Does the one that says it fits 11.6" netbooks really fit the MBA?

I emailed Tucano days ago and haven't received a response.

barmann
Dec 5, 2010, 02:47 PM
Huh ?
It looks oversized for the MBA 11.6 , and the fixed strap is a dealbreaker.
There a lots of netbook cases in that size ...

BeyondtheTech
Dec 5, 2010, 03:48 PM
I may stand corrected. On Tucano's site, the red and coffee versions are 10" sizes, and the black is 11.6".

http://www.tucanousa.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=86

hkgunner
Dec 6, 2010, 02:57 AM
i believed they have the same size. maybe, this is marketing strategy.

animatedude
Dec 6, 2010, 03:04 AM
but i don't like verticals..

rebby
Dec 7, 2010, 09:39 AM
I just got mine yesterday. This is perfect for the 11.6" Air. Exactly what I was looking for. It's small and light and the front pocket is perfect for the power adapter and a few odds and ends (small notebook, USB flash drives, keys, etc). There is also a small pocket in the main part of the bag that works well for papers (8.5"x11" sheets need to be folded in half) and other flat objects. All in all this is a great bag for the MBA and I'm sure that it will serve me well.

dmelgar
Dec 7, 2010, 01:54 PM
I just got mine yesterday. This is perfect for the 11.6" Air. Exactly what I was looking for. It's small and light and the front pocket is perfect for the power adapter and a few odds and ends (small notebook, USB flash drives, keys, etc). There is also a small pocket in the main part of the bag that works well for papers (8.5"x11" sheets need to be folded in half) and other flat objects. All in all this is a great bag for the MBA and I'm sure that it will serve me well.

You got which one? Recent discussion that there appear to be multiple sizes. Which color did you get? Where did you get it?

rebby
Dec 7, 2010, 02:06 PM
You got which one? Recent discussion that there appear to be multiple sizes. Which color did you get? Where did you get it?

I got the black one from J&R (as linked in the first post).

BeyondtheTech
Dec 7, 2010, 02:09 PM

Nice to hear that, glad I could help. I emailed Tucano yesterday in regards to the other colors and their sizes, still waiting for a response.

dmelgar
Dec 7, 2010, 02:13 PM
Ok, with the confusion I broke down and actually used the telephone and called Tucano.

They said they've updated the bag to be the larger size for 11.6" and should fit the MB Air. They only updated it in Black. The red and charcoal are still the smaller sizes up to 10". They said that J&R should have the new larger black version even though their website says it only fits 10".

They also mentioned that they're releasing a neoprene sleeve for the 11.6" MB Air at the end of this week. It does have a zipper (which I don't like). I didn't ask any more details.

duk
Dec 7, 2010, 11:53 PM
Ok, with the confusion I broke down and actually used the telephone and called Tucano.

They said they've updated the bag to be the larger size for 11.6" and should fit the MB Air. They only updated it in Black. The red and charcoal are still the smaller sizes up to 10". They said that J&R should have the new larger black version even though their website says it only fits 10".

They also mentioned that they're releasing a neoprene sleeve for the 11.6" MB Air at the end of this week. It does have a zipper (which I don't like). I didn't ask any more details.

uh oh... saw this thread earlier today, and was impressed with this bag, so I ordered it from amazon. I realized there was some confusion with size in alternate colors, so I made sure I got the black one.
I ordered it from amazon at a great price $22 plus s&h.
Hope it is the larger size.
Maybe my chances are good, as the OP stated he originally bought for his ipad and it ended up fitting his not yet released (assuming) at time of purchase mba.
btw OP, when did you purchase the bag?

BeyondtheTech
Dec 8, 2010, 12:01 AM
btw OP, when did you purchase the bag?

I bought it originally for my iPad on May 7, 2010 on a walk-in at J&R and it's the same 11.6" bag that fits my new Air.

duk
Dec 8, 2010, 12:09 AM
I bought it originally for my iPad on May 7, 2010 on a walk-in at J&R and it's the same 11.6" bag that fits my new Air.

Wow!
Quick reply, thanks!
7 months ago huh... that seems reassuring, unless the co. is making a buck off old, outdated stock. Only time will tell. They did note in there confirmation email that they only ship brand new items, directly from the manufacturer.
I'll be sure to let everyone know as soon as I get it, as this is a really good price.

duk
Dec 10, 2010, 11:12 PM
I received my messenger bag for the air today and am happy to report it is indeed the 11.6 size needed to fit the mba. I ordered from "The Price Pros" through amazon, shipping was fast. Price was 22.82 + 6 shipping.
So far I like this bag, only complaint, if any is that it doesn't fit well in the soft faux fur section, not a big deal, guess that is for an ipad... nice bag, thanks OP for sharing.

dmelgar
Dec 11, 2010, 12:11 AM
I ordered mine a couple of days ago from J&R, mostly because they have a good return policy. But shipping seems really slow. They still haven't even shipped it.

BeyondtheTech
Dec 11, 2010, 12:25 AM
I ordered mine a couple of days ago from J&R, mostly because they have a good return policy. But shipping seems really slow. They still haven't even shipped it.

Ya, they were four days late in shipping my cappuccino machine, then lied to me saying it would ship Thursday and upgrade to overnight delivery for Friday - the shipped it UPS Ground on Friday evening. Their excuse was the holiday rush. I was highly pissed and when I called to complain (and gave a negative review on their www.jr.com/feedback page), they gave me a $15 credit for my next purchase. It'll get to you, eventually.

duk
Dec 11, 2010, 12:48 AM
Cancel and order from Amazon, shipped the same day and had it in three.
And not to mention... cheap!
It's an awesome bag.

dmelgar
Dec 11, 2010, 11:21 PM
It's an awesome bag.
Days later and it still hasn't even shipped. However I don't like the return policy from 'Price Pros'. Basically 20% restock if you've never opened it sounds like practically no returns allowed. Not worth the risk to me for pretty close to the same price.

duk
Dec 12, 2010, 01:49 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's an awesome bag.
Days later and it still hasn't even shipped. However I don't like the return policy from 'Price Pros'. Basically 20% restock if you've never opened it sounds like practically no returns allowed. Not worth the risk to me for pretty close to the same price.

If it was a notebook I would have been more concerned about the return. No problem at all before opening, as there is a big tag attached to the bag that says "fits up to 11.6" that was my only concern and it was addressed before the seal was even broken. Hope you get yours soon.

dmelgar
Dec 14, 2010, 12:49 AM
[SIZE=1]If it was a notebook I would have been more concerned about the return. No problem at all before opening, as there is a big tag attached to the bag that says "fits up to 11.6" that was my only concern and it was addressed before the seal was even broken. Hope you get yours soon.

J&R changed their status to back ordered. Almost a week later and still not shipped. I was able to cancel the order. I've gone the risky route and ordered a sorta used one off Amazon, supposedly like new and I can return it. Maybe someday I'll get to see this bag. In the mean time, I've ordered a neoprene sleeve too, cheap off eBay, but other folks here have received it and said its nice. I assume the MBA will fit in the Tucano bag even in the sleeve.

T4R06
Dec 14, 2010, 12:56 PM
ordered at B&H today and i will be receiving tomorrow :D

dmelgar
Dec 14, 2010, 03:59 PM
ordered at B&H today and i will be receiving tomorrow :D

Overnight shipping from B&H costs $27, as much as the bag...

T4R06
Dec 14, 2010, 10:42 PM
Overnight shipping from B&H costs $27, as much as the bag...

From NY to CT cost $4 UPS

That is why I love b&h

dmelgar
Dec 20, 2010, 12:24 PM
J&R changed their status to back ordered. Almost a week later and still not shipped. I was able to cancel the order. I've gone the risky route and ordered a sorta used one off Amazon, supposedly like new and I can return it. Maybe someday I'll get to see this bag. In the mean time, I've ordered a neoprene sleeve too, cheap off eBay, but other folks here have received it and said its nice. I assume the MBA will fit in the Tucano bag even in the sleeve.

I must have bad karma with this bag. I've been trying to get it for weeks. My order finally came in.... and its the wrong size! As I noted earlier there's one that only holds up to 10" and a newer one that holds up to 11.6". They both have the same name so you can't tell which one is which.

The Amazon order I received is the 10" that doesn't fit the MBA.

ARGH! I may just give up on this bag and buy something easier to obtain without unmarked sizes.

gglockner
Dec 30, 2010, 07:37 AM
Only problem with this bag is that a side pocket means you have to remove the computer from the bag to go through TSA airport screening. This is what I love about a sleeve - I can put the computer through the X-ray while inside the sleeve; protects the computer from damage and makes it a bit less obvious.

kory108
Dec 30, 2010, 05:13 PM
This is exactly what I was looking for, small yet has a messenger style strap! Thanks for the post!

dmelgar
Dec 30, 2010, 11:32 PM
I FINALLY got my bag. Watch out for the 10" version. Its apparently still out in some parts. I got the 11.6" version. Fits well. The bag seems pretty sturdy, good size, can hold the charger well.

dmelgar
Jan 7, 2011, 01:26 PM
After having use the bag for a while, I had a somewhat minor issue.

I worry about zippers potentially scratching. There's a flap thats supposed to cover the inside of the zipper. But at least on my bag, the flap is quite a ways away from the zipper, maybe 1/2" or more. Its so far away that the flaps have no hope of coming together.

If I touch the closed zipper, I touch straight through to the Macbook Air.

I'm hopeful that the plastic zipper won't actually scratch it, but it does seem like a design or manufacturing defect to have the flap, but put it so far away from the zipper that it can't work.

I've reported the problem to Tucano.

kory108
Jan 19, 2011, 08:18 PM
I just wanted to thank you again for bringing this bag to our attention. I just received mine in the mail (bought from Amazon and arrived in 2 days) and I'm loving it! It's exactly what I was looking for, small, but yet protective for the Air.

Icaras
Jan 19, 2011, 10:08 PM
Yes, thanks for this thread definitely. Just found this out.

I have a question though: Does this bag by chance have enough space to fit both a Macbook Air and an iPad with the Apple case together? I'm looking to transport both together.

kory108
Jan 19, 2011, 10:46 PM

I have a question though: Does this bag by chance have enough space to fit both a Macbook Air and an iPad with the Apple case together? I'm looking to transport both together.

Not sure about the case, but just the naked iPad fits. There's a pouch in the main compartment where it can slide into.

dmelgar
Jan 19, 2011, 11:11 PM

I've done it but wouldn't necessarily recommend it. There's a tendency to be able to cram things in with the MBA. It puts stress on the MBA display or case bottom. I don't want to test how much stress it can handle. I find myself wanting to cram too many things in the outside pocket... charger, even with long power cord, USB cable for cell phone, cell phone charger, glasses, etc, etc. With in iPad in there too, it would be too tight to add anything to the outside pocket.
I had bought a $30 case at Walmart for 12" netbooks that did comfortably hold the iPad and MBA. But there want much else to recommend it.

Icaras
Jan 20, 2011, 01:23 AM
Hmm, thanks for the input. I might just bite the bullet and buy anyway. I also plan on trading up to the iPad 2 when that eventually comes out, and that should be even smaller and thinner, so I'm sure that will work better.

I was considering SFbags, but man, really can't beat the price in comparison for the Tucano bag!

Anyway, thanks again!

duk
Jan 22, 2011, 09:30 PM
After having use the bag for a while, I had a somewhat minor issue.

I worry about zippers potentially scratching. There's a flap thats supposed to cover the inside of the zipper. But at least on my bag, the flap is quite a ways away from the zipper, maybe 1/2" or more. Its so far away that the flaps have no hope of coming together.

If I touch the closed zipper, I touch straight through to the Macbook Air.

I'm hopeful that the plastic zipper won't actually scratch it, but it does seem like a design or manufacturing defect to have the flap, but put it so far away from the zipper that it can't work.

I've reported the problem to Tucano.

I worried about this too, but after closer inspection realized the zipper itself has a cloth lining built into its underside (zip the bag part of the way shut and feel the bottom side of the zipper where it comes together). I'm no longer bothered, as it appears the actual zipper teeth can't come into contact with the mba while in the bag.

gman901
Jan 23, 2011, 06:19 AM
Okay, I am totally confused about this bag! I bought the coffee colored one from Fry's a few months ago. The label stated it was the iPad version; however both compartments inside this bag holds my 11" Air perfectly and zips up fine. I am even able to fit a naked iPad in the same bag with the Air, but it's very snug with both. So the Tucano website shows a black version of the same bag for laptops up to 11.6". What confuses me is if this is the same bag I am using, but in a coffee color. The label clearly stated what I bought was for the iPad but it fits my Air. If I bought the one advertised on Tucano's website, would it be actually a little bigger than the one I already purchased?

klover
Jan 23, 2011, 07:24 AM
For anyone in Canada, Futureshop carries this bag (black) online and in-store for $42. Free shipping.

Grabbed one last night and the black version (despite being described as a 10-inch netbook/ipad bad) and the MBA fits perfectly.

gman901
Jan 23, 2011, 08:17 AM
For anyone in Canada, Futureshop carries this bag (black) online and in-store for $42. Free shipping.

Grabbed one last night and the black version (despite being described as a 10-inch netbook/ipad bad) and the MBA fits perfectly.

So do you think the 11.6 version and the 10" iPad version are actually the same bag, but marketed as separate versions? That's the way to explain why the 11" Air fits perfectly in the 10" iPad version.

klover
Jan 23, 2011, 06:19 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

They actually are different.

I went back to Futureshop and they had two black Toscano bags hanging under the same price badge. They looked identical until I put them side-by-side and noticed one was about an inch longer.
The tags on each bag looked exactly he same except one said "iPad and 10 inch notebooks" and the other read "iPad and 10/11.6 notebooks". Otherwise they had the same sku, price, etc.

I'm returning the bag however. I like the fit but the zippers on both sides of the opening are definitely an issue; I can see myself scratching the edge of my MBA or iPad. You have to be very careful to roll the edges back so the zippers aren't exposed.

bopjo1
Feb 26, 2011, 05:13 PM
Is the extra pocket of this bag able to carry the power unit + mouse + iPhone + wallet?

Voondebah
Feb 26, 2011, 06:38 PM
STM makes a very low-profile bag with shoulder strap. I have one for my iPad, and it's pretty nice. I don't think the pocket is big enough to hold the AC adapter though. Only $20.

http://www.ebags.com/product/stm-bags/jacket-extra-small/204516?productid=10109435&sourceID=GOOGFEED&couponid=40959822&CAWELAID=591752502

kyrules2008
Feb 26, 2011, 08:41 PM
Can you put both iPad and 11" MBA at the same time?

Thank you.

Sleeves and cases are nice, but they usually have no strap, or they can't carry the power adapter and other necessities, or they've got some other major flaw or omission that force me to pass up on it.

I had an iPad 16GB that I traded off for a MacBook, to which I sold that off and paid the difference for an Air. The case I bought for the iPad was the Tucano Finatex XS, and it worked beautifully.

Who knew that the same case would work just as well for the 11.6" Air?

http://www.tucanousa.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BFITXS

The case provides decent padding and extra pockets to hold an iPhone, the AC adapter, a portable hard drive, and even my Wacom Bamboo tablet, and still manages to be under 2.5" thick.

My favorite part is the the sling strap that houses my wired headphones. When it carried my iPad, I realized the headphone jack routed into the outer pocket, not the main sleeve where the iPad was sheathed. So, I picked up a pack of grommets at Home Depot and hammered in a few clean holes (albeit bronze-colored, that's all I could find on short notice) and was able to route it either out of the case entirely, or into the main sleeve.

If you don't have a tablet, you can substitute it for a firm piece of plastic or presswood, like from a clipboard, or even cardboard, so as to provide an extra layer of protection for the screen and prevent any warping of the Air.

At only $35 from Tucano's site or J&R where I bought mine, it serves its purposes as the smallest case I could find for the Air.

UPDATE: J&R is selling the coffee-colored one for $25 and the red one for $31.

http://www.jr.com/product/productListing.jsp?Ntt=finatex

I hope this helps someone looking for a perfect case that's small and not intrusive. I found myself carrying my iPad and now my Air practically anywhere.

(not affiliated with product or companies mentioned.)

dmelgar
Feb 27, 2011, 09:19 AM
Can you put both iPad and 11" MBA at the same time?

Thank you.
Yes, but its a tight fit. I wouldn't recommend it. Maybe others do it.

blazinz
Feb 27, 2011, 10:03 AM
I'm kinda lost now after seeing that STM bag posted above, after taxes and shipping there the same price..

Anyone recommend one over the other? :confused:

kyrules2008
Feb 27, 2011, 04:21 PM
Thank you for your answer. Much appreciated.

Yes, but its a tight fit. I wouldn't recommend it. Maybe others do it.

FCDP
Aug 18, 2011, 09:30 AM

Bumping this thread for anyone else looking for an awesome slim bag. I just picked it up from Futureshop as well, and it's perfect. And the in-strap headphone cable area is an interesting feature. Haven't used it yet.

KPOM
Aug 18, 2011, 09:35 AM
Only problem with this bag is that a side pocket means you have to remove the computer from the bag to go through TSA airport screening. This is what I love about a sleeve - I can put the computer through the X-ray while inside the sleeve; protects the computer from damage and makes it a bit less obvious.

Technically the 11" Air doesn't need to be taken out of its case since it's so small. However, don't be surprised if the TSA agent tells you to do so (a lot of them have "laptops out" ingrained into their routines).

kwajkat
Aug 18, 2011, 10:26 AM
First I got the multitasking combo slim case which is similar to the OP's bag. It will hold both Mac airs 11 and 13 plus the ipad and accessories. It is very light weight.And then in my favorite color, I found the workout slim bag for the 13 mac air which works perfectly for me. There is about an inch extra space around it which gives me a little extra room for other stuff. Am not sure I like the way they have the silver pull out bag part but I haven't really play with it yet. Since getting it, I haven't gone anywhere with the laptop so..... I do like the way it is made, the quality is real nice and it feels like it will last. Also got the work in case for the ipad which is really nice. Of course the title blue is my favorite color so I was really sold on the pair, :D What can I say:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Nioxic
Aug 18, 2011, 10:35 AM
looks nice!

i prefer to have it in my backpack though.. so i bought the .. ehm..

"Tucano Elementsl Special Edition Skin" for the 11.6"

its very good for a sleeve! Has a nice interior that protects it from the zippers tooo. (yes with 3 o's)