Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
When you download iTunes movies can you keep them? If not, is there a hack? Are movies "DRM'ed" too?

Thanks

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Did you buy them or rent them?
If you bought them, I think Apple allows you to keep them, but I don't know about that DRM stuff.
I haven't done anything yet. Just looking at the iTunes store here in Japan. I didn't even know there were two options. So if you buy them I wonder you can keep them forever?

And...can we transfer them to our iPhones/iPads?

EDIT: Nevermind...I see it. It costs 400yen to rent and 2,000yen to buy. Only problem is all the Hollywood movies only have Japanese audio I think. I hate dubs.

Last edited:

peterjcat

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2010
If you buy them, then you can keep them forever, though they will only play on devices that are authorised to play them. It's generally possible to strip the DRM out of them so they'll play on anything, though often only if you keep a slightly out-of-date copy of iTunes.

If you rent them, you have 30 days to start to watch them, and once you've started you can keep them for 24 or 48 hours (depending where you are) and then they won't play any more.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
I think the purchase prices are INSANE. I'd rather go to the store and buy a real blu-ray disk for an extra few bucks that contains English and Japanese audio and subtitles (all versions) as well as owning a true 1080p version.

Nuts...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.