Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrew34kay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2004
Hi I have a rev 2 logic board with w/ ati rage graphics card. My question is I have a old pc w/ pc 133 sd dimm (2x of 256mb) They are no-name brands, so what i really want to know, is should i invest in buying apple certified ram? the powermac g3 says it runs PC100 sdram, but i am pretty sure, for at least cp's that the mobo will automatically use it ram at PC100 speed settings, even if the ram is PC133 speed. thanks for all replys. I got it off ebay with like 64 mb ram, thought you guys might like to know. ;)

-Andrew

brandon6684

Dec 30, 2002
I have an iMac G3 that is a bit new than your PowerMac, so it actually uses the RAM at 133, but I put some Generic RAM in my iMac and it works fine. So if they say the 133 RAM will work, might as well go with the generic stuff. You probably just can't mix it with your old RAM.

Norouzi

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
The Powermac should use the PC 133 at PC 100 speeds, I've used PC 133 in a B&W before with no problems. And since you already have the RAM it can't hurt to put it in and see if it works. Worst case, it dosen't recognise the RAM.

MacNeXT

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2004
I had 4 no name (2 of no name brand X and 2 of no name brand Y) modules in my B&W, which were pulled from old PC's. Never had a problem.

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2004
Plant City, FL
I have one 256 PC133 DIMM (Centon, I think) and three 128 PC100 DIMM's (all different generic brands) in my B&W Rev.2. Mine is probably about as much of a mixture as you could get away with! :p

Daniel

andrew34kay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2004
Cool.

Thanks for all your replys, i got 4 different 256 sd dimms so ill going to try to put a gb of ram in it! thanks for the help.

-Andrew

Faraday

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2004
Melbourne Australia
High density vs low density DIMMS.

I ran into this issue when adding memory to a B&W. There can be issues with larger DIMMS (256 & 512 MB) in the B&W.

Newer 256MB+ DIMMS are generally 'high density', with chips on one side of the DIMM module only. The B&W G3 memory controller will only see half the capacity of some of these gih density modules.

Older 256MB & larger DIMMS are 'low density' or 'double sided', with chips on both sides of the DIMM module. These should work OK.

If you buy them new, the 'Low Density' or double sided DIMM modules are typically 2X or more expensive than the more modern 'single sided' DIMMS, as they are only required for older machines like the B&W G3s.

You won't hurt your machine if you put a modern high density DIMM in, but the machine may only see half of the capacity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.