Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

christopherkunz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2010
Hanover, Germany
Hey,

I'm pondering buying a 13" MBA, but as many people, am put of a bit by the lack of an Ethernet port. In most cases, this is not an issue for me, but sometimes I just need to have a little more bang than Wifi can offer.

Did anyone ever come across a review, blog posting or something like that that shows real-life benchmarks for USB ethernet adapters on the MBA? Seeing how close real-life throughput and theoretical specs differ would be helpful and all I could find using the forum search was some generic comparisons.

Thanks!

Argon21

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
Алейск, RUSSIA
USB 2.0 has enough throughput to handle 100 Mb/s Ethernet. I wouldn't be worried about throughput. The thing that might concern me, is the latency. USB will add some latency. How much it adds would make for a good benchmark.

christopherkunz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2010
Hanover, Germany
Forgot to mention that I'd really like to have a GigE adaptor. I guess it will theoretically max out at about 300Mbps but that's still 3 times FE speed (and thus 1/3rd the wait).

Using external hard disks via USB, I made the experience that effective data rates vary wildly, depending on the host USB controller, the external hard disk's controller and occasionally on the cabling between host and external hard disk (thin = bad). That's why actual benchmarks using the Air's USB controllers would be interesting.

abuleban

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2010
Saudi Arabia
No problem with the adapter

it even worked perfectly for the data transfer, did at least 30 GB of data in an hour or so... I think:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.