Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sammyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
I bought a few hard drives on Black Friday, and need to figure out which one to install in my new mac mini. I have a 500gb seagate XT which is a hybrid SSD drive. I also bought s 120gb SSD. Oh yeah, I also got an external FireWire 2TB drive.

My wife uses her computer for Photoshop only. What is the best way to setup her computer so it blazes through Photoshop?

dolphin842

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2004
Since hybrid drives do their best when they can easily 'guess' your workflow and put the right files in the cache, the Momentus XT would be a good fit for a limited 'Photoshop only' workflow. Once you install the drive, go through a few iterations of booting the machine and then launching Photoshop and any other regularly used programs. After a few cycles, the drive should get the hint and put the relevant files on the flash memory.

As for the SSD, it would make sense to put it in your machine since you have copious external storage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.