Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oregon2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
I got my 32 GB iPod Touch 2G two years ago soon after it came out. It's been great up until about a week ago when it started turning off every few minutes. And it wouldn't turn on until I held down the power and home button together. It worked for a few songs but then went to a white screen with a few lines of black pixels.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I took it in to the Genius bar and they said it's the logic board and have offered a replacement for $79. I was kinda hoping for a free replacement but I guess this might be my best option...

EDIT: The replacement would be a 2G

Last edited:

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Free is not really possible because it is out of warranty. I mean apple could have offered one, but they don't have to do by all means.

With that being said, I would suggest if you can see how much you can sell your iPod touch for first. If you can get decent money, then I would suggest buy new one. Ipod touch 32GB can be purchased at very nice price right now at Target.

pukifloyd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Scottsdale
Why are they giving you the 4g? Don't they replace with the same gen product?

well...good for you...if they are giving you 4g then take it!

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
I think it is not a bad deal ... you get a freshly refurb 32GB for $80 and will probably last quite a while. :cool:

TheyCallMeSaint

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2010
I'd say it's a good deal; taking it a 3rd-party dealer to replace the Logic Board will likely cost roughly the same. In addition, the refurb unit will likely have a newer battery, less scratches/dents, etc.

That said, if you've been dying for the new features on the iPod Touch 4G, you could use this an opportunity to upgrade. You could sell this one to a parts supplier and then purchase the 4G.

oregon2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
I'd say it's a good deal; taking it a 3rd-party dealer to replace the Logic Board will likely cost roughly the same. In addition, the refurb unit will likely have a newer battery, less scratches/dents, etc.

That said, if you've been dying for the new features on the iPod Touch 4G, you could use this an opportunity to upgrade. You could sell this one to a parts supplier and then purchase the 4G.

How much could I get in parts? It's in pretty good condition but does have some wear, and functioned perfectly up until this incident.

TheyCallMeSaint

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2010

NathanA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Dude, that's not a bad deal. Essentially, Apple agreed to replace your iPod Touch for you for the cost of the battery replacement, instead of the full out-of-warranty service (which for a 2nd-gen 32GB Apple would charge you $199), even though from what you are saying here they don't think the problem is the battery.

The question you want to ask yourself is whether you want to spend $79 to get what will essentially be a new replacement for your current iPod, or $299 to get the current generation iPod with equivalent storage capacity to what you have now. I guess it largely depends on whether you feel the upgrade will be worth it to you at that $300 price.

-- Nathan

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I got my 32 GB iPod Touch 2G two years ago soon after it came out. It's been great up until about a week ago when it started turning off every few minutes. And it wouldn't turn on until I held down the power and home button together. It worked for a few songs but then went to a white screen with a few lines of black pixels.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I took it in to the Genius bar and they said it's the logic board and have offered a replacement for $79. I was kinda hoping for a free replacement but I guess this might be my best option...

Most people would be very happy if they could replace a two year old iPod Touch for a brand new one for only $79, even if theirs was in perfectly working condition. Think: How much did you pay for that iPod, and how long did you expect it to last? They are offering you a brand new iPod for $39.50 per year. And anyway, yours isn't working, so $79 for a working iPod is even better.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
If you use your iPod as an iPod (for music), then it's a good deal. if you use your iPod for web browsing/apps I would consider upgrading because the new one has some pretty nice speed advantages compared to the old one which make web browsing great, and make games run smoother. Also, I'm not sure if the next version of iOS will be supported on the 2nd generation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.