Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shardey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
Colorado
I have had this quad g5 (dualcore 2.5ghz X 2) laying around for about a year that I purchased for $100 without a hard drive, super drive or a power cord. I was told that it was non working in the manner that ONE of the dual core cpu's had gone bad. I will be receiving my power cord this week to make sure that it still powers on but what the problem is.

My question is: If only one of the cpu's are bad, what is the part number I will be looking at? I am not wanting to spend a fortune on this to fix it, but If I do get it working I would like to drop 8-16gb ram in it, and setup a raid with 2 raptors.

I found these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-G5-2-5-processors-/130459502548?pt=CPUs&hash=item1e5ffe07d4#ht_543wt_1141
http://cgi.ebay.com/APPLE-POWERMAC-...855?pt=CPUs&hash=item53e4dca86f#ht_981wt_1141
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...90336&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_1925wt_1141

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
First two links are for 2.5 Dual Processor, not Dual Core.

Last one looks like Dual Core but listed part number doesn't match with official one. These CPUs (in matched pairs) were sold with LCS, never separately. That's why listed part number does not match.

Here's complete CPUs module.

shardey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
Colorado
Thank you for your reply. I apparently was misunderstanding the auction on ebay. However, I just read if that there is 1 bad cpu there are 2 things that the mac will do while booting. If it is the second cpu, it will hang on the apple logo, if it is the first cpu, it will more than likely not chime nor show a logo. My next question is how to determine which cpu is 1 and which one is 2? Thanks

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Yes, once you get it to test it and it boots but doesn't chime. You can remove the processors and try to swap the bottom one to the upper slot. Dual processor G5s will boot with one processor as long as it's in the upper slot. After changing processors you will most likely need to run a thermal calibration. You need to find an Apple Service Diagnostic disc version 2.6.3 to use for the Quads.

As far as I know, there are only two different model numbers on the Quad CPUs and you need a specific one for your logic board. Both CPUs have to have the same model number too.

630-7419
630-7689

If you need the latter ones, I have a few that should work as I purchased them for mine but I didn't know at first that I needed the *7419.

But the first thing you should check for before even plugging it in is check for leaks.

shardey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
Colorado
Yes, once you get it to test it and it boots but doesn't chime. You can remove the processors and try to swap the bottom one to the upper slot. Dual processor G5s will boot with one processor as long as it's in the upper slot. After changing processors you will most likely need to run a thermal calibration. You need to find an Apple Service Diagnostic disc version 2.6.3 to use for the Quads.

As far as I know, there are only two different model numbers on the Quad CPUs and you need a specific one for your logic board. Both CPUs have to have the same model number too.

630-7419
630-7689

If you need the latter ones, I have a few that should work as I purchased them for mine but I didn't know at first that I needed the *7419.

But the first thing you should check for before even plugging it in is check for leaks.

I have taken it apart and pulled the cpu out and haven't noticed one bit of leaks. Whenever the power cable comes in I will be able to find out what is wrong with it. Do you have any idea where I can get the 2.6.3 Apple Service Diagnostic disc at? This is the Delphi liquid cooled system (which I believe had the most problems?).

VanneDC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Dubai, UAE
though there were quite a few issues with the LCS, i believe its much, much over rated than it actually is. Unless you have a machine that ran 24/7 since new, they may be fine. Make sure to check for leaks before plugging anything in, and also check the drip paper on the bottom... if that looks suss, dont plug it in.

Mine was perfect... but it still doesnt hurt to check..

if its leaking, it /could/ hurt to check....

shardey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
Colorado
I know for a fact there hasn't been a leak in this system. The gentleman I purchased this off of for $100 just gave the system to me and informed me that I needed to replace the cpu's. I assumed it would have been just one.

I finally got the power cable in and it turns on and there is no video output and all the fans turn on low then to a medium setting. The CPU A and CPU B led lights are lit up. Could this also mean that the LCS is malfunctioning?

shardey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
Colorado
Just got a new part in for the quad. It still appears I have both CPU A and CPU B led lights on. What is the good trickle light that stays on too? This time I can hear the fluids inside swooshing around, so I think the other may of either got plugged up, or if it leaked it managed to miss the power supply. What approach should I take next?

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY
My CPUs were not working until I followed the tightening sequence exactly as written in the service manual. You need to tighten the 4-4mm standoffs first, then work your way out. Then I heard another pop, and they seated. Let me know if you'd like a photo of the sequence.

The trickle light will illuminate orange when the air deflector is removed but the computer is turned off. That basically just verifies that the power supply is supplying enough current to turn on the computer.

shardey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
Colorado
My CPUs were not working until I followed the tightening sequence exactly as written in the service manual. You need to tighten the 4-4mm standoffs first, then work your way out. Then I heard another pop, and they seated. Let me know if you'd like a photo of the sequence.

The trickle light will illuminate orange when the air deflector is removed but the computer is turned off. That basically just verifies that the power supply is supplying enough current to turn on the computer.

So this probably explains why I can short the computer out when it is on and I apply pressure to the entire heatsink. Could you post as many pictures as you can with this?

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY
There you go sir! If movement shorts the computer out, this will surely help you. Loosen everything then re-do it as per these images.

Picture1-4.png

Picture2-3.png

It's imperative that the "float plate" screws stay loose until the end, as the CPUs need wiggle room while the rest of the LCS gets tightened above it. The float plate screws torque the CPUs in place once everything's seated.

shardey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
Colorado
There you go sir! If movement shorts the computer out, this will surely help you. Loosen everything then re-do it as per these images.

It's imperative that the "float plate" screws stay loose until the end, as the CPUs need wiggle room while the rest of the LCS gets tightened above it. The float plate screws torque the CPUs in place once everything's seated.

Thank you so much! I have one problem though, before I get started doing this I think I have may misplaced the screws to secure the cpus in place (screws 5,6,7,8). How important are those screws in sense of making the computer functional?

My other concern is that the other CPU's were actually working but the LCS had a problem, as I can now here it swooshing around liquid. Maybe the other leaked out and shorted mother board. I do have another logic board coming that is functional, purchased from ebay and shipped for $68.

I will be attempting to find screws today to try to fix this.

PS (I purchased a dual 2.0ghz G5 for only $125 working, and also a mac pro 2 x 2.66 dual core with 2 250gb and 2 320 gb hd and a 4870hd for 800 :) )

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY
Well in that case, those 4 missing screws are undoubtedly the reason for your issues. Those fasten the power supply wires to the CPU boards, which obviously provide them with electricity. Is there a chance those screws fell into the bottom of your computer, under the power supply? I've been able to retrieve screws from under there, by shaking the computer in random directions, turning it upside down, etc. You REALLY need them. Once they're replaced, the other problems might go away. Every system in these computers seems to rely on another system for proper function.

That's a killer deal on those two Macs, btw.

Psychomacuser

macrumors member
May 3, 2011
G5 Quad Part number - Panasonic LCS

Hello,

Can someone provide me the part number for the PANASONIC LCS for the Quad G5? The service guide makes no mention of the Panasonic type at all. It only mentions the original and the revision 2(dual pump) models.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,

"Why would Apple not include this part number in the service guide?"

Please note: I am well aware that the Late 2004 models with dual 2.5 have the Panasonic LCS mentioned in that service guide. The G5 I have is a QUAD from 2005-2006, and NOT the DUAL 2.5

shardey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
Colorado
Well in that case, those 4 missing screws are undoubtedly the reason for your issues. Those fasten the power supply wires to the CPU boards, which obviously provide them with electricity. Is there a chance those screws fell into the bottom of your computer, under the power supply? I've been able to retrieve screws from under there, by shaking the computer in random directions, turning it upside down, etc. You REALLY need them. Once they're replaced, the other problems might go away. Every system in these computers seems to rely on another system for proper function.

That's a killer deal on those two Macs, btw.

I got it working! Only problem is that apparently one of the cpu's over heat after being logged in for a few minutes. I will be running the Thermal Calibration test today or tomorrow to see if that will fix it. Thank you for all the help, it is nice to see there are some intelligent people out there that like to share their knowledge rather than being a sarcastic prick about it.

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY
Great! I'm glad I could be of service :) Are you still running without the screws though?! I wouldn't expect the computer to even boot without them.

shardey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
Colorado
Great! I'm glad I could be of service :) Are you still running without the screws though?! I wouldn't expect the computer to even boot without them.

No they are installed and they have to be for it to properly be running, otherwise it will show the error leds of Insert cpu A and CPU B.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.