PDA

View Full Version : USB Flash Drive help/advice PLEASE!

bonnaroo
Jan 18, 2005, 09:40 AM
I recently purchased a USB Flash Drive. to be specific it was a SanDisk Cruzer Mini 1.0 Gb USB Flash Drive.

I purchased it with the hopes of taking grphic design files I work with at school (Mac with OS X 10.2.8 - they dont have panther or higher) and take them home to work with them there (Dell Dimension 8200 PC with windows XP).

Everything works fine at home on my PC, I can encrypt and save files on the flash drive with ease however when I take it into school - I can not access the .exe file to get the flash drive working on a Mac. Under the specs. of the device it states that it is compatible with mac OS X.

So my questions are as follows:

1.) Does anyone know why i can not access the flash drive on the Mac?

2.) and if it is a compatability issue does anyone know of a USB Flash Drive that is easily compatable with sharing files between my PC at home and my mac at school?

thank you for any advice.

robbieduncan
Jan 18, 2005, 09:55 AM
Don't use encryption?

Make sure the drive is formatted FAT32 and just drag files to it in Windows and OSX.

I assume the encryption is CruzerLock™ 2 which is described as Window Only on the sandisk site.

wrldwzrd89
Jan 18, 2005, 10:00 AM
If you use the drive as an ordinary USB drive (without the encryption), it'll work perfectly on Macs and Windows PCs as long as you format it FAT32, like the previous poster said. You could also format the drive on one of the Macs if necessary - just make sure you choose the correct formatting option (I don't remember exactly which one you want, but I know it doesn't contain "Mac", "HFS", or "UNIX".)

bonnaroo
Jan 18, 2005, 10:04 AM
cool - thx for the advice

I am at school in the mac lab right now - i will save some .jpg and .psd files non encrypted and take them home (and vice versa) and see if the situation improves with your advice.

madmaxmedia
Jan 18, 2005, 12:44 PM
I recently purchased a USB Flash Drive. to be specific it was a SanDisk Cruzer Mini 1.0 Gb USB Flash Drive.

I purchased it with the hopes of taking grphic design files I work with at school (Mac with OS X 10.2.8 - they dont have panther or higher) and take them home to work with them there (Dell Dimension 8200 PC with windows XP).

Everything works fine at home on my PC, I can encrypt and save files on the flash drive with ease however when I take it into school - I can not access the .exe file to get the flash drive working on a Mac. Under the specs. of the device it states that it is compatible with mac OS X.

So my questions are as follows:

1.) Does anyone know why i can not access the flash drive on the Mac?

2.) and if it is a compatability issue does anyone know of a USB Flash Drive that is easily compatable with sharing files between my PC at home and my mac at school?

thank you for any advice.

What everybody else said. Also, in general, any '.exe' file is a Windows (executable) program, and won't run on a Mac.

jxyama
Jan 18, 2005, 12:57 PM
other points:

windows file format will not like certain characters in the filenames. (prime example being a '/') and also, long names may give trouble.

':' may or may not be problematic with Mac file format.

wrldwzrd89
Jan 18, 2005, 01:03 PM
other points:

windows file format will not like certain characters in the filenames. (prime example being a '/') and also, long names may give trouble.

':' may or may not be problematic with Mac file format.
Windows won't let you use ':' anyway.
As far as I know, Windows and Mac OS X are both limited to 255 characters in file names. However, I've had strange issues with longer names in Windows, and I wouldn't be surprised to see issues of this nature in Mac OS X too (in fact I know of one such issue already in Mac OS X - it's in the ditto UNIX command).

JzzTrump22
Jan 18, 2005, 09:02 PM
It depends on what operating system you set the flsh drive up for. I set mine up for mac, eventhough it works on pc, it doesn't work 100% and it pisses me off sometimes.

homerjward
Jan 18, 2005, 09:34 PM
i have that same drive, only the 128 and 256MB versions and it works seamlessly with osx, xp and even 98se. havent tried it with jaguar though. i guess it's the encryption messing it up

bonnaroo
Jan 19, 2005, 06:33 PM
thanx to everyone who offered me such speedy advice. this is my first time posting here and you guys have been very helpful.

it was an encryption issue and once the drive was formatted correctly - I have had no problems whatsoever with exchangin information between my PC and Mac.

ThanX again - :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Did I see you at Bonnaroo?