PDA

View Full Version : Is my MacBook Air 11" built-in microphone faulty?

sekoitus
Nov 29, 2010, 10:12 AM
The sound level on the microphone is very low. Even when input volume is set at max in system preferences -> sound -> input, the level is so low that it's almost inaudible.

When doing a Skype test call (to echo123), the level of my sound is frustratingly low.

If I record a piece with Audacity, the level is also too low. Inaudible. By normalizing it via effects menu I can get the level up but not by that much.

I guess this is not normal...

Can anyone with MBA 11" let me know how their little built-in microphone works?

Maybe I should get this thing exchanged...

mloffa
Nov 29, 2010, 10:31 AM
When I had the 11in, anytime I did a video chat over iChat, the other person said my microphone was VERY low.
Now, though, with the 13in, everything is fine.

sekoitus
Nov 29, 2010, 10:45 AM
Ye, on my 11" the level is so low that even when I speak at moderately loud volume directly next to the microphone, the level isn't high enough to be easily audible.

Called Apple Support, reset PRAM and SMC, going to reinstall OSX and if it doesn't work, then it's exchange time. Boohoo :(

sekoitus
Nov 29, 2010, 12:35 PM

Lovely machine but this little mic problem ruined it.

WHY do I always get the faulty machines.

I have had like 15 laptops and 2/3 of them have gone in to repairs sooner or later or have been DOA to begin with.

My luck would be that the replacement has some sort of a bigger problem and there you go...

OSX reinstall didn't fix anything, and now I'm waiting for an exchange.