PDA

View Full Version : playing m4a in browser

mcgarry
Jan 18, 2005, 01:27 PM
Hi,
Thanks to some help from here a few weeks ago, I got my sites up and running out of my house. One of them is for my brother, who wanted me to put up some of his self-recorded songs. On the downloads page of that site,

www.the-optimist.com/music.html

the mp3 links work fine in every browser, but the one test m4a link I put up returns text output only in Safari (Firefox brings a dialog up and I have not yet tested IE).

I did create a .htaccess file in the-optimist.com's document root, which includes the text

AddType audio/mpeg mp3
AddType audio/mp4 m4a

What am I missing ? (yeah, besides the ability to design a website that doesn't look like crap -- I learned enough html to do the basics back in 1996 and I've never moved beyond)

ChicoWeb
Jan 18, 2005, 03:40 PM
Could be your host. Some of them don't allow you to write your own MIME types. I had a issue like this with a client and his server. I had to end up hosting the files myself.

mcgarry
Jan 18, 2005, 03:58 PM
Could be your host. Some of them don't allow you to write your own MIME types. I had a issue like this with a client and his server. I had to end up hosting the files myself.

I host myself-- an old iMac by my desk running 10.2.8 (Apache 1.3.33).

ChicoWeb
Jan 18, 2005, 05:09 PM
Then I would imagine you njeed to add this MIME type under httpd.conf file.

Search for:

AddType application/x-tar .tgz'.

and after it place:

AddType audio.mp4 .mp4 .m4a .m4p

mcgarry
Jan 18, 2005, 05:44 PM
Thanks! that worked. Firefox opens up a player in the browser (right-click will download), and Safari begins a download; either is fine with me. I'll test on a Windows machine when I get a chance, but really I thought this would just be a nice touch for Mac or iTunes users.

Do I still need the .htaccess file I made?

Lastly, a note on nomencalture:what is the proper usage of m4a vs. mp4, at least in my application?

crazzyeddie
Jan 18, 2005, 06:02 PM
m4a is mpeg4 audio (what you want to distribute). mp4 is mpeg4 protected, aka iTMS protected music, which is useless to distribute.

mcgarry
Jan 18, 2005, 06:03 PM
m4a is mpeg4 audio, mp4 is mpeg4 protected, aka iTMS protected music.

Thanks, I have not yet purchased anything from iTMS. Do purchased files use the .mp4 suffix, while the files I import into iTunes (as from my brother's CD) get .m4a?

crazzyeddie
Jan 18, 2005, 06:05 PM
Thanks, I have not yet purchased anything from iTMS. Do purchased files use the .mp4 suffix, while the files I import into iTunes (as from my brother's CD) get .m4a?

Yes, exactly.

Brize
Jan 18, 2005, 07:43 PM
m4a is mpeg4 audio (what you want to distribute). mp4 is mpeg4 protected, aka iTMS protected music, which is useless to distribute.

I'm unsure about this. I thought that protected AAC files had the m4p extension, rather than mp4.

rendezvouscp
Jan 18, 2005, 09:07 PM
Brize is correct. Protected AAC (MP4) files are .m4p and unprotected are .m4a, while audiobooks are .m4b. They are all MP4 files.
-Chase

crazzyeddie
Jan 18, 2005, 09:27 PM
m4p... mp4... You know what i mean :p