Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
Upon advice from many sources, including many helpful MR members, I bought some CactusV4s a while back. They have been working GREAT, except for when I am trying to shoot snowboarding/skiing out in the elements, in which they turn to absolute TRASH.

They misfire NONSTOP, and sometimes in the cold I need to slow my shutter down to 1/15th to even catch the light, the sync is so bad!

These problems aside, I need to upgrade ASAP so I don't spend the entire winter snow season pulling my hair out in the cold.

I have heard good things about The PCB CyberSyncs, so I am considering the

-CST Transmitter ($60)
-CSRB reciever ($70 per)

Anyone have any experience using CyberSyncs in the snowy cold? I'm talking Minnesota cold, like -down to -20 F.

Or should I just splurge on a PW Plus II? Are the pocket wizards really worth the extra dough?

---I have no interest in any TTL auto crap, I like setting everything manually and dialing it in.

Thanks guys!

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
bumping for injustice

Ok.....

Any word on the reliability/value of CyberSyncs vs RadioPoppers?

Anyone that does any outdoor shooting in the cold with wireless flash have ANY advice?

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I have a bunch of CyberSyncs, and I don't recall ever once having a misfire with any of them. However, the weather here is now only about 30F, and I have never used them in any colder conditions. Sorry I can't be more help.

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
I have a bunch of CyberSyncs, and I don't recall ever once having a misfire with any of them. However, the weather here is now only about 30F, and I have never used them in any colder conditions. Sorry I can't be more help.

Thanks! And that is some good help, I forgot to mention in my initial post that 2 of my Cactusv4's are misfiring even when used indoors. Very annoying when every other photo is mis-lit.

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2007
UK
I have Cactus v4s which have put in good service whilst I waited for PocketWizard to release the Mini TT1 and Flex TT5 for Nikon speedlites - which were announced today!!! Hooray :)

http://nikonrumors.com/2010/11/30/pocketwizard-finally-shipping-minitt1-and-flextt5-for-nikon.aspx
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-10057-11055

My Cactus were pretty reliable but did drop frames at times and a couple of knocks to one of the receivers has put it fully out of action. For the price they cost, I think they are very good.

However, the conditions you're using them in would test any kit. I'd recommend PocketWizards all the way (but I must state I've no experience of them in the low temperatures you'd be needing them in).

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Anyone have any experience using CyberSyncs in the snowy cold? I'm talking Minnesota cold, like -down to -20 F.

Thanks guys!

I have Cybersyncs, but haven't used them in really cold conditions- but what about simply wrapping your current triggers in a layer of sock-like material and then rubber-banding a hand warmer to them? You'll want some separation to stop things from getting too hot, but that will also keep the batteries at a warmer temperature, giving you better power control. Just be sure to account for any condensation.

Paul

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
I have Cybersyncs, but haven't used them in really cold conditions- but what about simply wrapping your current triggers in a layer of sock-like material and then rubber-banding a hand warmer to them? You'll want some separation to stop things from getting too hot, but that will also keep the batteries at a warmer temperature, giving you better power control. Just be sure to account for any condensation.

Paul

I was just thinking about that last night actually...

My plan: take a tube sock and cut the foot part off, then put it over the flash/trigger, then jam a hand warmer thing in their with the flash/trigger.

Should do the trick for a while.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
It occurred to me after last posting in this thread that most batteries have issues in very low temperatures, regardless of the device they are powering. So yeah, the sock idea might be the way to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.