Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
We just bought older son a X360 for Christmas (250GB, no Kinect, 1 year XLive Gold)

I am a long, long-time PC & Mac gamer, also PSP, DS (GB->GBA before), iPod Touch and iPhone. My genres tend to be FPS and (western) RPG, with turn-based strategy, some RTS, and random others including some jRPG ... and my older son tends to have similar tastes.

Kids already have a Wii and we got younger son a PS2 earlier this year. From those we have loads of casual stuff like LEGO Star Wars and Rock Band/Guitar Hero, a decent set of jRPG through PS2, and a few things like SOCOM2, GTA3, Metal Gear Solid trilogy, etc ...

So far I have 5 X360 games coming (through Goozex): Modern Warfare 2, Fable II, Forza 3, Mass Effect 2, PGR 3. And other stuff requested.

Just was looking for non-obvious recommendations for games - both on the shooter / action side and also more family-friendly stuff.

Thoughts?

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I made a game with zombies is an awesome(the actual spelling is a bit more "1337") is an great community games. And its like 80 MS points. Its a twin stick shooters, but for under a dollar, I can't see why anyone wouldn't buy it.

Also Geometry Wars 1/2, Sonic 4, Zombie Apocalypse(best with a few friends, still fun alone) are all fun games. And since they are on XBL, its easy to get and cheap

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Also Geometry Wars 1/2, Sonic 4, Zombie Apocalypse(best with a few friends, still fun alone) are all fun games. And since they are on XBL, its easy to get and cheap

I wouldn't call Sonic 4 cheap considering what you get for $15 (1/4 of a whole game). More like a complete rip off ($60 for a Sonic 2.5D game, really?).

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
Thanks ... I know about some XBLA games like those mentioned above, Trials HD, Defense Grid, 'Splosion, etc ... but want to wait a bit on those. Looking more for boxed up stuff that I can get off of game trading sites to augment the brand new couple of games we got him with the system.

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
Can't go wrong with either of the Crackdown games. The second one is basically the same as the first, just with more weapons, vehicles, and stuff to do, but you can probably find the first one pretty cheap. Also, the Orange Box can probably be found very cheap these days. That was a bargain when new and $60, let alone now when it is older and cheap. It's worth it just for Portal, in my opinion.

0Kq5w.jpg
pzc9q.jpg
mQ9vn.jpg

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
Also, the Orange Box can probably be found very cheap these days. That was a bargain when new and $60, let alone now when it is older and cheap. It's worth it just for Portal, in my opinion.

Yep - already trying to get that. Both kids have played Portal on PC (younger son has played >30 hours of Portal in the last 6 months!) and some HL2, but I know that he'd love to get it on the X360.

Thanks for the Crackdown note - had missed that one!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.