PDA

View Full Version : Next Powermac Revision

Claymore
Jan 18, 2005, 03:51 PM
Hi, when do people think the next revision of the Powermac G5 will be?

Thanks,

Bear
Jan 18, 2005, 03:55 PM

Thanks,Sometime this calendar year.

I'd say somewhere between now and the WWDC. Based on chip rumors and such, I wouldn't be suprised for it to not happen until arround the WWDC.

If you need a system, wait until after January is over and then make a decision. If you don't need one, just wait and don't worry about.

gangst
Jan 18, 2005, 03:57 PM
March or Apple and probably a big revision at WWDC

Bear
Jan 18, 2005, 04:00 PM
March or Apple and probably a big revision at WWDCThey won't do a revision that close together. If the do an update soon (within about 4 weeks) then they might do a big revision at WWDC.

Otherwise who knows when releases will be.

sjpetry
Jan 18, 2005, 04:53 PM
Otherwise who knows when releases will be.

Steve. :p ;)

Before WWDC. :)

Bear
Jan 18, 2005, 04:55 PM
Steve. :p ;)

Before MWDC. :)Whatever MWDC is.

aswitcher
Jan 18, 2005, 04:59 PM

Thanks,

Yeah WWDC seems right. Wonder if 3GHz is going to happen...

sjpetry
Jan 18, 2005, 05:09 PM
Yeah WWDC seems right. Wonder if 3GHz is going to happen...

It has to. :D
It has been way too long since the..................................................................................promise.

LimitedEdition
Jan 18, 2005, 05:26 PM
Like many people who bought the original 2003 G5, I am eagerly awaiting the next revision.

Some things I am looking for:
- Quieter
- Less clunky CD door
- Better quality quieter components, e.g. CD drive and HD
- At least 50% faster than the 2003 G5

I think a lot of people skipped the 2.5, and Apple will make mucho $ on the next one.

Edit: better built in speaker. Louder with some bass.

Bear
Jan 18, 2005, 05:28 PM
It has to. :D
It has been way too long since the..................................................................................promise.Apple can only sell what IBM provides them with.

Now on the other paw, there is a chance for dual core 2.5GHz (or faster) processors. I think I could live with a 2.5+GHz dual core processor w/dual cores. It would be almost like a 4 processor system.

SuperChuck
Jan 18, 2005, 05:37 PM
How about an update on the form factor.

I know a lot of people love the current design, but I think it is the ugliest Mac since the beige boxes. I'm not sure if I should boot it up or use it to grate a 50 lb. block of cheddar.

Bear
Jan 18, 2005, 05:39 PM

I know a lot of people love the current design, but I think it is the ugliest Mac since the beige boxes. I'm not sure if I should boot it up or use it to grate a 50 lb. block of cheddar.I'm not sure on the external form factor, but internally there really should be connections and room for one or two more disks. And in truth, I wouldn't mind room for a second optical drive.

sjpetry
Jan 18, 2005, 05:41 PM

I know a lot of people love the current design, but I think it is the ugliest Mac since the beige boxes. I'm not sure if I should boot it up or use it to grate a 50 lb. block of cheddar.

It's ok looking but Apple could do much better. :cool: :D

Mmmm.....Chedder. :p

plastree
Jan 18, 2005, 05:45 PM

I'm not too excited about the new exterior design, either, but the internal design is easily the most elegant I've ever seen. Needs more drive support, though.

toontra
Jan 18, 2005, 05:54 PM
Apple can only sell what IBM provides them with.

Reminds me of the Motorola G4 problems of a couple of years ago. I was hoping that the IBM partnership would be somewhat more dynamic; that was certainly how it was portrayed. 3 Gh machines on the horizon at the G5 launch - it all looked so rosy!

Bear
Jan 18, 2005, 06:02 PM
Reminds me of the Motorola G4 problems of a couple of years ago. I was hoping that the IBM partnership would be somewhat more dynamic; that was certainly how it was portrayed. 3 Gh machines on the horizon at the G5 launch - it all looked so rosy!Although in this case IBM has provided samples to Apple. Dual Core Processor samples.... so something good might be in the wings.

toontra
Jan 18, 2005, 06:14 PM
Although in this case IBM has provided samples to Apple. Dual Core Processor samples.... so something good might be in the wings.

True - guess I'm just itchy for a new machine. ;)

Bear
Jan 18, 2005, 06:18 PM
True - guess I'm just itchy for a new machine. ;)Ok, that I can understand. My PowerMac (a G4) can't really handle very well what I'm tossing at it. 4 to 6 GB of RAM would be about right and as fast a G5 as I can get at the time I order. And I'll probably order on the day of the next PowerMac announcement.