Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Archibum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2010
I've been holding off on buying an iPod dock for my yamaha receiver (unnecessary expense right now), but I'd still like to hear pandora and my mp3s through my 5.1 surround system via my iPod Touch. The receiver is awesome, it has multiple inputs. The easiest way to make the connection (other than the yamaha dock) is to simply plug a RCA cable that utilizes the earphone jack on the iPod and a red and white (R&L) RCA into the rear of the receiver. This seems to work after toggling to the proper output channel on the receiver, that is until the sound comes out of the speakers. Its not poor quality nor is it distorted, THE PROBLEM IS: it only plays out of the left side front, left side rear, and subwoofer speakers. It ignores the other 3 speakers altogether. I'm perplexed. I've tried changing the settings on the receiver, ie the preprogrammed equalizer settings and surround sound decoder settings to no avail. When I set the stereo to 2 channel I get sound from just the front left speaker if I set it to 7 channel I get sound out of the left front and rear and it sounds louder than when set to any other preset. Is this as simple as the earPhone out only being able to output two speakers worth of sound one for the left ear and one for the right? Thanks for any help and or clarification.

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010
I'm no expert, but I believe that you are correct in thinking that a headphone socket only deals with two channels.

I'd imagine that settings within your receiver would control whether it uses the rear speakers when fed a stereo signal, but that would depend on your particular setup.

Of course, what you want to do is rip DVD's with a 5.1 stream and then play stream them to an Apple TV connected to your audio system to get a really good surround sound output. Of course you are limited to what DVD's have a 5.1 track and the files are much larger than MP3's but it's a great listening experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.