Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vanilla

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2002
Atlanta, GA
hi
I'm trying to learn Dreamweaver mx and would be very grateful for any recommendations for a good tutorial that can get a newbie up to speed.

I've tried working through "Dreamweaver MX Complete Course" by Joyce J. Evans, which is good in that its project orientated and has lots of pictures, course files etc. However there are a number of errors which eventually wore me down and also the pictures and descriptions are heavily PC version biased, which became a pain as I spent increasing amounts of time trying to find the equivalent on my Mac version.

So, has anyone any suggestions for something similar, that provides some background info to the key features, holds your hand through a project, is graphical and either Mac biased or at least grants equal time to both platforms, ideally with some introduction into Fireworks and can help get a newbie up to speed?

cheers
Vanilla

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Try "Dreamweaver MX 2004: The Missing Manual" by David Sawyer McFarland from Pogue Press / O'Reilly. 'Includes 130 pages of New Hands-on Tutorials'. I highly recommend it.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
dejo said:
Try "Dreamweaver MX 2004: The Missing Manual" by David Sawyer McFarland from Pogue Press / O'Reilly. 'Includes 130 pages of New Hands-on Tutorials'. I highly recommend it.

I really liked (and learned a lot) from Macromedia's "Dreamweaver MX - Traning from the Source" by Khristine Annwn Page.

It takes you step by step in building a full and fairly dynamic page and includes all the images, fonts, etc you will need.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
Vanilla said:
hi
I'm trying to learn Dreamweaver mx and would be very grateful for any recommendations for a good tutorial that can get a newbie up to speed.

I've tried working through "Dreamweaver MX Complete Course" by Joyce J. Evans, which is good in that its project orientated and has lots of pictures, course files etc. However there are a number of errors which eventually wore me down and also the pictures and descriptions are heavily PC version biased, which became a pain as I spent increasing amounts of time trying to find the equivalent on my Mac version.

So, has anyone any suggestions for something similar, that provides some background info to the key features, holds your hand through a project, is graphical and either Mac biased or at least grants equal time to both platforms, ideally with some introduction into Fireworks and can help get a newbie up to speed?

cheers
Vanilla

Do you want the print version or digital version. I have the tutorial in digital format if you are interested. Its Dreamweaver MX Bible. :)

PM me if you want it. I don't believe I put one up on my site for reasons that its a large file. :)

Lead Belly

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2002
Not trying to be a smart ass, but have you tried the tutorials under the Help section of the application and on Macromedia's web site? They are pretty solid for anyone new to the application...and they're free.

If you learn better via watching as opposed to reading, as I do, try Virtual Training Corporation (http://www.vtc.com) or Lynda.com (http://www.lynda.com) online tutorials. It costs $25 or $30 per month. It's good if you're looking to learn a bunch of apps. The movies are in Quicktime. VTC is better if you're also looking to learn Javascript, SQL, PHP, CSS, etc. Lynda movies seem to be a little bit better quality with more energetic instructors.

destroyboredom

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2002
Washington, DC.
Lead Belly said:
Not trying to be a smart ass, but have you tried the tutorials under the Help section of the application and on Macromedia's web site? They are pretty solid for anyone new to the application...and they're free.

I would have to agree here. The tutorials that Macromedia includes in the product will get you up and running step by step pretty quickly. I would go through those and if you still have questions or are looking to do more advanced stuff, buy a book.

Vanilla

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2002
Atlanta, GA
Thanks for the responses.

I actually hadn't considered the in-built help so offering that as a suggestion was valid! I'll check it out today.

Thanks also for the suggestions of alternative books which I'll also check out.

Finally maya, appreciate your offer and I've sent you a PM.

Kind regards
Vanilla

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.